cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Tinalbowser

Quit date is coming

We decided to change it to 1-14. Instead of 1-20. Only because we have been preparing for weeks already. I just don’t want to wait longer. Can u give me some examples of what some of you put in your quit kit?  For the car my favorite place to smoke?? Any ideal will help.  And do u think it’s a good ideal to change the quit date?? Thank y’all 

7 Replies
Barbscloud

If you're ready, absolutely.  I did use NRT.   My go to was chewing on straws until they were destroyed, sour hard candy and elvan‌ blowing bubbles helped me to sit in my old spots outside. I couldn't sit on the deck for a few months.  I quit smoking in car three cars ago, so that wasn't issue when I quit.  I listened to music in the car when I did stop smoking in it.  Coming to the Ex when I had a craving really helped. After I spent sometime on the site, the craving would pass.  I really missed the reward cigarette.  So, if I was working in the yard, etc. and when have normally taken a break with a smoke, I would come to the site and read/post.  

JACKIE1-25-15

Here is one blog with comments on quit kit. /blogs/Christine_Aka_Legend-blog/2014/08/22/quit-kit  Also, you can do a word search of quit kit and read other blogs to get more ideas. Along with so many other options: bottled cold water, breathing exercises and the support here, was my number one go to. Wishing you a successful journey.  It is doable.  Never give up. 

Mandolinrain

For me it was keeping my fingers busy when I was at home. So it was cleaning every nook and cranny in our house. Taking brisk walks...which helped keep my weight in place because I was always hungry. Working in my flower/garden beds. Cleaned garages, horse barns....there was not a space on our property I DID NOT attack

Then:

Practicing my mandolin

Working on a craft-art project...hey I even went to goodwill to fins small pieces of furniture to bring home and refinish. It was actually very fun!

In the car I listened to recorded tapes that were of interest. They have books on tape also you can buy on any subject.

I used and kept Vicks Vapor Rub everywhere because for me anyway, it helped squish a crave right away. I just put a bit under my nose. I also used the Vicks inhaler when I didn't want to read of Vicks, lol.

I went and cleaned around the stones at the cemetery. Replanting some. I got busy finding places to volunteer my time. I helped my elderly Mom and Mother-in-law taking them places doing odd jobs for them.

When I smoked I figure it took about 2 minutes or less to smoke. which was about 30 minutes a day I spent smoking in all. I divided that time up and did mini sprints on my mini trampoline. Great exercise and invigorating.

YoungAtHeart

If you have prepared, go for it!!!  No need to wait!

Just wrote a blog about quitting smoking in the car:  /blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2019/01/10/car-quitting-tips 

Here's a list of idea for things to do instead of smoke to get you started:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

Your kit might include a written list of the reasons you are quitting to review when you are having a weak moment, a list of things from the list above that you can do to get past a crave, some Vicks to put under your nose if you have to be around smokers to both remind you of your decision to quit and to cover up the smell, some sugar free gum or mints, maybe some straws cut up in cigarette lengths to chew/puff on, maybe some flavored toothpicks to keep your mouth busy.

Get to it! 

Nancy

AnnetteMM

Tootsie Pops, Twizzlers, crocheting (not while driving lol), and looking at the number of days WON every single day!

elvan

I think it's a great idea to move your quit date up...when you are ready, there is no reason to wait.  Why would you keep smoking?  You've got some GREAT suggestions above, I posted on your other blog asking the same question...use anything and everything that works for YOU!

Ellen

anaussiemom

Agree, with those who wrote about just quit!  Every cig you dont smoke is a bonus to your health.  Allow yourself to ride with the anxiousness.  The anxiety won't kill you I promise.

0 Kudos