cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Dtripolino

When Do Benefits of Quitting Start?

I've been on Chantix for a week now and have smoked 1 pack of cigs in the last 7 days! BTW, you're supposed to smoke the 1st week while the medication builds up in your system. Tomorrow is my quit date! 

I remember my Dad telling me that when he quit, food tasted better, breathing got better, smells were more intense, and his coloring greatly improved! Just wondering when I can expect to experience these things.

Also,  I've noticed that a huge trigger for me is seeing actors smoke in films!! I know they aren't smoking real cigs but a buzzer goes off in my brain when I see them smoke! Any suggestions to silence the buzzer?

17 Replies
beazel

My blood pressure dropped in the first week - pretty cool since I was on the verge of having to take medication.

My skin improved, it's so smooth now (don't remember exactly when it happened, I think I was a few months in).

Smoking in movies used to drive me mad, especially the old classic flicks. I think that buzzer fades with time.

Some stuff you just have to tough it out - the only way over it is through it.

Focus on the positives when they happen...and don't forget to come here and tell us about them!!!

Commit to the quit - you can do this!!!!

Barbscloud

Congrats on your decision to quit.  Tomorrow is the big day.   Educating yourself about addiction and preparing are the keys to success.  Stay close to this site and reach out if you need help. Here's a link with a stop smoking timetable.  Some benefits begin within hours.   Stop Smoking Benefits Timetable 

Barb

YoungAtHeart

Stop watching the shows where people are smoking  at the beginning of your quit!  This journey requires changing up your routines and subbing OTHER activities that you don't associate with smoking.  Maybe use your time to do crosswords, or play a computer game, or get an adult coloring book and markers, or a book to read instead.  You will eventually be able to get back to those shows.

I hope you are using your time to do the reading I recommended and tracking and delaying your cigarettes?  These things are proven to help you be successful!

Nancy

sweetplt

I noticed a lot of benefits of the quit about one week after quit.  I was breathing and sleeping better.  Food tasted better, etc., however after three days quit my skin looked so oh much better and my hair.  It truly is a great journey.  Today is 37 days Free for me...keep it here, it helps.  Colleen 

sweetplt

Oops with tv actors smoking change the channel  

JACKIE1-25-15

Health benefits start 20 minutes after you quit smoking. What Are Some Benefits of Quitting Smoking? | Reference.com 

Jennifer-Quit

Jennifer-Quit

Congrats on your decision to quit!  Best wishes!

Mandolinrain

Glad you're here! Welcome

0 Kudos