cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

tmg1026

Driving Trigger Help!

My quit date is set for February 1. I'm preparing by trying to break some of my strongest smoking habits and my first one is...driving. I'm finding it really hard to even make a 10 minute drive without smoking. What are some things that you all do to fight the cravings while driving? 

20 Replies
jenking

I loved smoking while driving, a mountain dew and a Marlboro and I was happy, so this is what I did. I cleaned the inside of my car out really good and went out and bought some air freshener for my car. Then on my Day Won when I got in the car it was clean and smelled good so I didn't even think about messing that up. I also stopped to Speedway and bought a bottle of water instead of a pack of smokes and a mountain dew. This worked to keep my hands busy while driving. Hope this helps:)

YoungAtHeart

Keep a cold bottle of water handy from which to sip, and some sugar free mints and gum.  Find a route different from the usual so the scenery is different.  Count the red/blue/white cars you see, or the lights you hit or miss.  Put some tunes on and sing out loud with them, or get a book to which you can listen.  Make up stories about the folks in the other cars:  are they on their way to work?  where do they work?  what do they do?  do they like their jobs?  how long is their commute?  if they are in a car with others, imagine their conversation....are they talking about work - or the football game this past weekend - or something cute a child did last evening?  Count backwards from 1,000, or name a State or country capital for each letter of the alphabet.

Keep your mind occupied!!!

Nancy

minihorses

I kept both my hands on the wheel at all times, chewed gum, cranked up the tunes and sang loudly, with the windows up.  My favorite music genre is heavy metal so instead of lighting up a smoke at red lights or stop signs, I head bang.  Don't worry about other people seeing you and don't feel embarrassed. They don't don't know you and will more than likely never see you again.  Other arsonable items include suckers, mints, water or other drinks, and audio books are all great aids as well. Keep planning and practising and you'll have upped the odds of success upon your quit day!

Barbscloud

I quit smoking in my car three cars ago just because it was a new car.  It was really hard at first because I had a traffic ridden highway drive.   I would listen to music.  Since I quit smoking, I still keep sour hard candy in the car.  The habit I had to break was when I arrived or departed my destination I would have a cigarette.  I keep something in the car to read if I early for my destination.  You've got time to practice.  If you don't smoke in the car a few times, you'll be upset with how badly it smells.  That might be enough motivation.  

karenjones

Clean your car out and get that stinky ashtray cleaned and put some air freshner and even put some carpet cleaner on the upholstry.  Or, since you will not be smoking use the money you save to buy a new car, or a car that has never been smoked in.  You do know that smoking in a vehicle reduces the resale price?  

Roller831

That was a very tough one for me as well!  I made sure to keep my hands and mouth busy for those first few weeks.  I ate lots of carrot and celery sticks in my car!  I chewed gum and sucked on mints.  Most importantly.....I got Alan Carr's Quit Smoking the Easy Way on CD and listened to it over and over again during my commute to work everyday for the first 3 weeks of my quit.

Get rid of everything smoking related like the smokes themselves, matches, lighters, etc.  If you are in your car, you cannot get smokes or light them if you don't have them.  They key is NOT to drive to GET them!  I know it sounds easier than it is, but keep it as simple as that.  You cannot smoke if you don't have them TO smoke.

Above all else...we are here if you need us!

Roller

tmg1026

Thank you all for the great tips! 

sweetplt

I quit smoking in my car years ago by chewing gum/or cinnamon candies...also, either do it yourself or go get your car cleaned and detailed...so it smells good...in time, you will no longer associate smoking with driving ... this is great that you are limiting your smoking before your quit date, it will help tremendously.    good job .. Colleen

sweetplt

Be sure to read this information will help you to prepare...

Getting Ready to Quit | My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX