Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Cindylegato

Why am i so angry and depressed?

Day 6..wuit many times.  Hardest quit.

10 Replies
AnnetteMM

You're depressed and angry for a lot of reasons, some physical and some emotional and social.  Only you know the latter two, but physically the withdrawal of nicotine is a powerful force on your body. You can ride it out. It does not last forever. Search for withdrawal symptoms on this site for other bloggers who have written about it.  It is doable and survivable! And congratulations on Day 6!

anaussiemom

Cindylegato you are not alone in those feeling!!  Some days a pair of boxing gloves and a box of tissue are essential in my world.

yyjcxkjhyk6nvhoo6ytm.jpg

YoungAtHeart

Perfectly normal!  I wish there were a pill I could give you that would make these early days of a quit easier, but, alas, you just have to get through them the best you can.  How you are feeling is why I NEVER want to go back through those days again, and a good part of the reason I am now 6 1/2 years smober.

Here is a blog that helps to explain what you are going through:  https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex/blog/2018/01/04/early-withdrawal-symptoms 

I also highly recommend you do the reading I recommended earlier (especially the book by Allen Carr) that both informs and might help you with the mental battle in which you are engaged.

The only way out is through.  Stay the course - I promise it gets easier!

Nancy

karenjones

The last quit is always the hardest. That is why you must protect your quit. hang on to it and defend it.  wouldn't want to go through this again would we? Just go through it hour by hour. it will change. you will feel different. hold on!!!

elvan

It WILL get better, a little at a time and no one can tell you when you are going to feel the changes but if you stick with your quit, you WILL.  You will begin to associate POSITIVE things with not smoking...no more sneaking out to have a cigarette, taking away time from your family or pets, no more feeling like you are less than others who DON'T smoke.  You will learn to deal with your feelings AND you will be so surprised at how strong you are...honestly, it is worth the pain and I KNOW it is pain.  Hang in there, do what you are doing and stay close to the site.  We are all here to help you in any way that we can...we have all been there.

Ellen

maryfreecig

Quitting is hard for the majority of us. Smoking is an addiction, a serious dependency. Walking away asks far more from us,  than the simple act of inhaling for nicotine--the fix. You took daily doses of nicotine (which affects reward and pleasure parts of the brain) for years and so once you quit your brain takes notice. Me want now. Where's my fix? Give me now.

One of the ways of dealing with being angry about not getting nicotine, is to reward yourself--some kind of treat, not necessarily food. It is not a cure all. But one day at a time, if you allow yourself to accept that your quit is your choice, you'll feel yourself coming back together. Hang in there.

I quit in 2013, pissed and moaned, but 43,000 cigarettes NOT SMOKED over the length of my quit time feels so good today. 

Keep working your quit.

virgomama

All the above is true.  And I wish you lots of strength on your journey.  I am 98 days quit and I can tell you I am starting to reap some of the rewards talked about above.  Stay the course, hang on tight to your quit.  Keep reading blogs o fothers who have done it.  It may save your quit.  I know it did mine.  Keep moving forward one second, one minute, one hour, one day at a time.   It is soooo worth it.

elvan

virgomama‌ Just LOOK at you, two days from Triple Digits!  Good for you!

virgomama

I'm excited!