cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Kelly16

Day 72

Hi there friends,

Haven't logged in for a while so I thought I'd give an update. It's day 72 smoke free. I am still on Chantix, but on a once a day dose instead of twice a day. Things are going great. I have little desire to smoke and am too stubborn to stop my quit now so I trudge on.   Planning on doing something to celebrate day 100 at the end of the month, any ideas? I started my quit Oct. 24, when it was cold in Maine and of course it continues to be cold, so avoiding going outside has been pretty easy. My biggest fear is when the weather turns in a few months and I start spending more time outside that the cravings will come back. I suppose we won't know until late Spring, and my hope is by then I'll be even further along in my quit that it won't make a difference how the weather is or how much time I spend outside. 

Hope everyone on this journey has their head up and their hearts full. 

Cheers!

Kelly 

10 Replies
desiree465

I quit in the winter as well and was worried about when the weather turned nice. Being further along in the quit definitely helped with those cravings and they might not be as bad as you'd think they would be. It gets sweltering hot here in jersey during the months of july and august and I was really grateful not to have to stand outside in that kind of heat and smoke. And if you're stubborn you're not going to let a little nice weather be ruined by a sickstick. I can't remember what I did to celebrate my 100 days, but I know I celebrated with buying myself clothes one time, went out to dinner with my husband one time and took a short trip to canada another. I kinda celebrated all milestones lol. We both quit so we were able to save up a lot of money to do some fun things. Whatever you decide on you have more then earned it if you make it to triple digits, hell you've more then earned it for being quit for over 72 days, congratulations. 

Barbscloud

Congrats on your 72 days.  Be prepared, the changing seasons does have in impact.  Unfortunately, there are different associations for every season.  I know I've felt them all so far.  Still have Spring to go!

YoungAtHeart

Treat yourself to something with the $$$ you saved for 100 days of not smoking?!  Maybe an away weekend - or a trip to someplace warm?    A special piece of jewelry?  Or some shoes?  Or a spa day?  Or a special dinner out?

Celebrate with something WONDERFUL!  You earned it!

Nancy

elvan

Good to hear from you, Kelly.  I would treat myself to something that I really wanted with the money saved...as YoungAtHeart‌ suggested.  I quit in January, during a polar vortex.  I never smoked inside so that really did make it somewhat easier.  I was also really, really sick and I wasn't sure I would pull through.  I worried about spring because I had my space out on the deck where I smoked.  Before spring came around, I cleaned that deck, got rid of everything I associated with smoking, no more ashtrays, no butt can, I got rid of all of the cigarettes, lighters, and coupons in the house.  I cleaned the car out and got rid of the residual smell.  Once spring came around, I had developed some new associations with feelings and I spent a LOT of time on this site.  It was seriously a lifesaver for me...every morning and every evening.  When I was able to get out on the deck, all of the furniture was changed around and I took the suggestion of a respiratory therapist and I got some kid's bubble juice and sat out there and blew bubbles.  Deep breath in...very controlled exhalations and I could watch the bubbles floating around.  Much prettier than smoke.  Every season does present its own challenges...I think JonesCarpeDiem‌ says we have to get through two sets of seasons to feel much more secure in our quits.  I have been through more than two sets now...I have not smoked and almost all of the associations I had with smoking have either been forgotten or have weakened so much that they are hardly annoyances.  They are just fleeting memories with absolutely no power.  You can do this...keep concentrating on all of your successes so far.

Happy New Year!

Ellen

Have you had a day where you realized you didn't think of smoking once the day before yet?

time brings them. Some get one in the 60's, I had my first one about where you are. Then they come more often.

These are your milestones to look for.

Congratulations on 72 days.

Giulia

There are some suggestions within the responses to this blog:  /blogs/Giulia-blog/2013/09/10/how-precious-is-your-quit?sr=search&searchId=d4ab6a08-8ddc-4824-958b-2... 

It's good, I think, that you have a healthy fear about season changes.  It means you'll be prepared.  Every activity that we did with a cigarette in hand needs to be unlearned.  And yes, you might very well get some urges in the Spring.  But as you said, you will be further along in your quit and have more experience under your belt.  

Congrats on the 72 days.  You're DOING this!!!!

anaussiemom

Wonderful-Shining-Green-Stars-Congratulations-Glitter.gif

maryfreecig

Congratulations!