cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

pattyveesaert

Feb: What's Your Quit Date?

My quit date is February 1, 2019.  I'll do some mini quits within the next few weeks though.  What had worked before, was the nicotine gum and just having the attitude of being a nonsmoker, and keeping busy.

Tags (1)
24 Replies
MarilynH

Welcome pattyveesaert to the community congratulations on your upcoming quit journey on February 1st, you've made the best decision that you'll ever make in your lifetime please know that we're all here to help you in any way we can, there's a lot of reading that you can do right here on this site to strengthen your resolve to quit and stay quit, I know I read everything I could find about this horrid addiction and I've been Smokefree since the 14th of July 2014 ......

YoungAtHeart

July 4, 2012!  And - if I could do it - EVERYBODY can!  Really!

I hope you will spend some time doing the reading I recommended - especially the Allen Carr book. 

Be careful using the gum - use it as the very last resort after you have used ALL the tools in your kit - getting busy, distracting,  exercising, changing your mind's direction.  If you sub the gum for every cigarette you used to smoke, there is a chance you might become addicted to IT!

Not so sure about "mini quits."  Once you stop putting nicotine in your body, the sensors in your brain affected by it start to die  off - and the longer they go without, the less insistent they become (the craving).  Stopping then starting just prolongs the withdrawal and can make you unnecessarily uncomfortable.  Try doing the tracking and separation exercises here on the site instead, maybe?  Just thinking about each one you smoke and putting each off a bit is a valuable exercise.

All that said, you know you better than anybody, so do what you think best for YOU.  This is your quit!

Nancy

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

pattyveesaert‌-

Looks like your quit date is set to March on your profile. You can edit that on My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX . Then come back here after updating it and click this link to logout. When you log back in the community will have the correct date.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
pattyveesaert

Thanks for catching that!

0 Kudos
elvan

pattyveesaert   You can do this...education, support, and commitment will be your best friends and companions on this journey.  Remember that it is a journey and not an event.

Ellen

0 Kudos
pattyveesaert

Thank you…. I’ll start focusing on this end of week

elvan

Good for you, remember that we are here and we will help you in any way that we can.  We all started at the beginning...

Ellen

0 Kudos
Giulia

Welcome Appearance Burst.gif

Practice makes perfect.  /blogs/Giulia-blog/2018/03/01/quitting-is-a-skill-that-can-be-learned   Since you've been down this road before and know what works for you, the trick is to find out how to hold onto it.  Some insights may be gleaned from the Relapse Prevention‌ group.  We're here for you.  (My quite date was 3/1/06)

Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex.  Congrats on your decision to quit.  Never heard of anyone doing mini quits before.  Don't know how that will go, but we're all different.  I quit by cutting down each day for a week by delaying the time between smokes.  Might think about giving that a try.   No matter how you do it, what matters is the end result - not smoking.

Barb

0 Kudos