cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

marciem

Valparaiso by jwg

On a serious side, another favorite from jwg, QSMB's Invisible Man.  The imagery is haunting to me.

John passed on 12/28/13, age 50, of lung cancer.  He is still missed by many, but his words live on and continue to inspire quitters.

jwg

Invisible Member     Location:  someplace in the clouds

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:54 AM

sea air so thick it drips off the buidings settling on the coble stone roads flowing into the crevasse and cracks like tiny rivers flowing back to the sea. I spent many nights walking the streets of old port towns in my younger days many nights my friend Possum would join me. As you might amagine , morings an waking up just were not his thing. But he and I had a lot in common . It wasn’t all just about wondering these empty streets so much as it was waiting and getting primed to join the party. A good bar might not open till 1 or 2 Am and we would have to be ready . No one shows up to that kind of place not already half into the wind.
So we would spend a few hours walking the streets , drinking are bottles of wine so neatly hiding in brown paper bags. I wore a denim trench coat and he in a leather jacket off brown and black , it looked like was ripped of the side of some calico cat. Back then my brand was Winston I really cant recall what Paul was smoking . I would just be happy if he had his own. On nights like these friend or not , you just cant be carrying enough for someone to be bumming.
Paul was a smart kid , I knew he was so most of what he would say I would listen and often tended to agreed. I remember one night he said to me “ you know nights like these are going to be the greatest of our lifes”
I said you know I think your right.. the fun we had I could never write of it all even in ten pages wouldn’t even cover half of it. Or would the jokes or laughs be as funny.
I could write of the time I saw this girl a year later from last time we were in port and her in broken English , pregnant as could be saying
You daddy … and me saying You crazy momma.. and we both laughed . I would give anything to remember her name.
Years later I would find myself sitting around picnic tables at some friends or relatives house drinking beer with the guys all of them telling there storys of glory days and touch downs. I would just sit and listen unwilling to share mine. Not of fear that I would out do them or I that I was to shy but more the momories of my greatest days were just mine , I did not want to share them . maybe it was from fear they would lessen or loose some value
Threw the years my life has gone into the toilet more then once. It was at these times I held so tightly to my memories cause they proved to me there is good in the world. There are good times and laughs , there is such a thing as happiness. I knew it to be true because I had once lived it. And If I hung on hard enough I could live these things and feeling again .. the bad will pass I would always tell myself . ‘just hang on, just hang on’
Then as I got even older I began to see life threw a different lens and knew it was time to do some house cleaning . I knew I had to quit smoking I knew I wanted more out of life then the cigarettes had to offer
But honestly I was scared to quit .. it wasn’t fear of withdrawl.. I had seen and lived threw far worst things then that could ever be. It wasnt fear of never getting to smoke again. Truth be told I had not enjoyed a cigarette in years. I was afraid if I let go of the cigarettes it meant I had to let go of all my memories , not memories of smoking per say , but the memories of all the good times I had when I was a smoker. I was afraid I would not ever be able to hold on to them the way I once did. Cigarettes were indirectly my connection to happiness. Something I now feared I may never find again . But my rational mind over came and greater then fear I new with certainty if I continued to smoke there was no way in the world I could ever achive the goals I had set forth to see true before my end.
So I let go . I gambled. I let go of the cigarettes I let go of the memories
But you know what the memories came back I still have them and some nights if I close my eyes I can taste the salt in the air, so thick it was in the old port towns

`jwg`

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Giulia

Extraordinary, wonderful writing. Thanks so much for continuing to share his material.  

Truth be told I had not enjoyed a cigarette in years. I was afraid if I let go of the cigarettes it meant I had to let go of all my memories , not memories of smoking per say , but the memories of all the good times I had when I was a smoker. I was afraid I would not ever be able to hold on to them the way I once did. Cigarettes were indirectly my connection to happiness. Something I now feared I may never find again . But my rational mind over came and greater then fear I new with certainty if I continued to smoke there was no way in the world I could ever achive the goals I had set forth to see true before my end.

I think he hit the nail on the head.  I've often wondered, what is this great fear we all have of quitting smoking?  And I totally agree with him that it's the fear that we'll lose our connection to happiness.  That once we "give up" smoking, we'll never be able to have great memories and great times, never find them again.  But of course we do.  And the thought that we can't is pure hogwash.  

THANK you, for this wonderful blog.  How sad that he died at 50 and isn't still around to pass on the beauty of his knowledge.

elvan

Wow, this is haunting...I had not enjoyed a cigarette in so long that I could not remember and then when I TRIED to remember...I wasn't sure I even enjoyed ANY cigarette.  What I enjoyed was a break from something...nothing in particular, just a break.  One of the biggest things we all have to remember is that we did not and we DO not need a cigarette to get a break.  Cigarettes, like all addictive substances that we have invited into our lives...will lie to us over and over and over again in order to hold onto us.

Thanks for sharing this, Marcie.