cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

jer2019

Cilia

Hey there, I'm new to this forum I have a question and I'm hoping someone can help. I'm 24 years old and I've been smoking for 4 years now. I'm going on 85 hours cigarette free .I'm not having any withdraws just besides sweating. The problem is the Celia recovery. I'm having trouble sleeping because I cannot stop coughing. I've tried a hot shower and it seems to help little. Is there anything someone on here has tried that relieved the cough from Celia recovery in the lungs . It's like I constantly have to cough.  Please help  thanks in advance 

0 Kudos
9 Replies
TW517

I'm sure everyone is different, but nothing helped my cough.  It was pretty bad for a about week, then slowly got better until pretty much all gone by 3 weeks.

YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

Congratulations on your decision to quit smoking and your first 3 days.  You are doing GREAT!  A lot of people experience sleep problems, so the cough might just be in addition to that.  Everybody's quit is different - but I CAN tell you that it will subside - however, I can't tell you when.  You might try an herbal tea with lemon and honey before bed - or maybe a warm air vaporizer in your bedroom? I am very happy to read you are quitting at such a young age.

The important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. You can search for it online or at your local library. Here's a link to a video here on the site which describes nicotine addiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be.

You should also read the posts here and perhaps go to the pages of folks who you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com, quitsmoking.com and livewell.com for the good information contained there. @https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex has lots of blogs written by members of this site with their experiences and guidance.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from when you smoked. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different. Buy your gas at a different station. Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you from which to sip. Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas

:
 https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

Barbscloud

The Mayo Clinic recommends drinking plenty of fluids and  a humidifier for the coughing.  I didn't have the problem, so don't know if that will help.

elvan

Welcome to EX and how wonderful that you are quitting when you are so young...GOOD FOR YOU!  I didn't have the issue with the cough because I waited so long to quit and got so sick...I COULDN'T cough, I didn't have the strength.  You CAN do this and it will get better....the suggestions from Barbscloud‌ are wonderful.  A hot shower with lots of steam in the bathroom might help if taken just before bed.  

I really am so proud of you and so happy for you...what a wonderful gift you are giving yourself.  

Ellen

sweetplt

Congratulations on your Quit especially when you are young. I know many of us wished we had done the same.  My cough was bad for about two weeks.  I actually had to sleep sitting up or propped up with pillows.  Also cough drops helped and lots of fluids.  Remember if you are unsure of anything, check with your Doctor... keep it here and let us know how it is going...

Colleen aka sweetp 

Barbara145

A little bit of honey may help.  Take care of yourself.  "This too shall pass."  You are doing great.

Honey works for me. My Cilia are permanently damaged. I drink local honey all of the time and it really does help. If it's really bad I drink Lidocaine prescribed by my Dr.

0 Kudos
karenjones

Thomas, |I thought the cilia recovered, you say yours didn't?

0 Kudos

No, I have chronic bronchitis. My cilia are paralyzed and have fewer hairlike fibers. I have to be careful because cilia cleans away viruses and bacteria that can get to the lungs such as pneumonia. I have to keep extremely sanitary conditions using air filters and humidifiers and have several treatments like inhalers with steroids which causes osteoporosis, high heart rate and other side effects.such as ......anxiety!

0 Kudos