cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

RLS1962

How long will my cough last?

I’ve been Quit smoking for 6 days and I’m still coughing . How long will this last?

10 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

Congratulations on your decision to quit smoking and your first 6 days.  You are almost finished H#ll Week.  Good for you!

I am not a doctor, so it's difficult for me to answer your question.  Have you been diagnosed with COPD?  If so, you might need to use any prescribed inhalers.  If not, you may just be cleaning the gunk from the cilia lining your bronchial tubes and your lungs of that accumulated over your years of smoking.  If the cough hangs on, it would be wise to have it checked by a doctor.

The important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. You can search for it online or at your local library. Here's a link to a video here on the site which describes nicotine addiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be.

You should also read the posts here and perhaps go to the pages of folks who you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com, quitsmoking.com and livewell.com for the good information contained there. @https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex has lots of blogs written by members of this site with their experiences and guidance.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from when you smoked. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different. Buy your gas at a different station. Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you from which to sip. Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

0 Kudos
maryfreecig

Welcome to Ex. Congratulations on 6 days. Keep it coming.

Coughing after quitting smoking: What's the deal? - Mayo Clinic 

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex.  I think you got some possible causes already.  If you need assistance, please reach out.

Barb

0 Kudos
Giulia

Each individual experience is different.  Did you perhaps have a cold or upper respiratory problems prior to you quit?  And did you quit because of those symptoms?  There are so man relatives in this given situation.

Generally speaking, once we stop smoking our cilia tend to happily awaken.  "The bronchus in the lungs are lined with hair-like projections called cilia that move microbes and debris up and out of the airways. Scattered throughout the cilia are goblet cells that secrete mucus which helps protect the lining of the bronchus and trap microorganisms." 

When those cells re-awaken they bring up all the gunk. This is a GOOD thing.

https://youtu.be/Rh_qeUeQUa4

Trust your instincts here.  If the coughing is accompanied by a fever, then that is not due to quitting.  So do have it checked out.

Six days smoke-free is GREAT!!!!  You hang onto it, ya hear?!  You can also put "cough" in the community search box (magnifying icon upper right) and will be given myriad blogs to read on the subject.

Welcome.  

Helpme0119

Mine lasted for about 3 weeks. I have smoked for close to 46 years so  I coughed up chunks of flehm a lot. I used a cool air humidifier at night to help loosen the crap out of my throat. In the morning it was usually get up cough it up and spit it out. I am better now glad the coughing stopped. Now I am dealing with my sinuses draining. Geez!

elvan

Helpme0119‌ It is all part of the journey.  At least the stuff is coming out...much better than keeping it in there and getting infected.  Congratulations!

Giulia

RLS1962‌  Haven't heard anything back from you.  How's the cough?  Any improvement?

Helpme0119

Giulia my cough has been gone for over a month now. I think my lungs were just expelling all the garbage that has built up over the years. It is much easier for me to take walks now. I still have to take it easy when walking but I can make it around the block now.

Seems like people think I am widowed. I have been divorced for 30 some years. I am not alone. I have a daughter who is also quitting smoking, and my grandson who live with me. They help at times but there are times when I just go to my room or computer and give myself a break from them.

I don't like Mucinex, I used it once and said never again. Part of my stop smoking was also to quit with all the sinus medicines and cold medicines. I only do my usual prescriptions and my OTC vitamins. I have a couple of bags of hard candy to suck on when I get a craving or I know a trigger is going to happen. Driving my car is a trigger. Start the car light a cigarette. So now I start the car and put candy in my mouth. That helps a lot. I smoked a lot in my car. I am slowly making it! I noticed in a few of the messages I received a book was mentioned. Easy Way To Quit Smoking. I am going to look that book up and get it. Anything Helps. Thanks for all the support we really are not doing it alone.

Giulia

Glad to hear your cough is gone and that walking has become easier.  That's GREAT!  Also that you've been able to ditch your sinus medicines.  Though I'm a little confused.  It looks like your quit date is Jan. 6th?  Or is that's incorrect?  From the way you're describing your health benefits it seems you must have already quit, no?  Helpme0119 

0 Kudos