cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

King1961

Quitter for life

Quit last July! I’m done for life! Do I get urges, of course, did I gain weight? Of course! Will I ever smoke again! NO! After 35 to 40 years of half to 3/4 of a pack a day, I developed COPD, or asthma, take your pick, one dr says this the other that. Regardless, having difficulty breathing SCARES ME TO DEATH! I’m not happy with myself cause I knew all along this was the end result, yet continued to smoke? Stupid? You bet. Quit now, not easy but so is not breathing, you choose which one you want to live with. I have since convinced 2 of my sisters to quit. I’m only 57! I pray daily that my condition will improve over time? I also pray for all of you, that your efforts will be successful. 

5 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Welcome!

Congratulations on your quit!  Not easy, as those of us here well know.  If you have any questions or need information just ask.  If you search at the magnifying glass (top right) for COPD, you will find a treasure trove of good information.

If your sisters need some help or support, please send them to us.

Nice to meet you!

Nancy

0 Kudos

Good to meet you and welcome!

Doctors tend to classify most breathing issues as COPD if the person being diagnosed has a history of smoking. Not sure why, but they do. I too was diagnosed with COPD but it was five years after I quit. When I got the diagnosis, I almost died from lack of oxygen. Since then, my issues have steadily improved. But I do understand how scary it is to not be able to breathe even as you inhale as hard as you can. I remember thinking more than once during that time that "this is it". I really thought I was a goner. 

If you're interested in information about COPD or want to talk to others, there is a group here for those who have been diagnosed. COPD

Thank you for choosing to share your story. You obviously feel passionate towards helping others along the way and those testimonials can always help. Please reach out to the community if you need anything.

ONWARD TO FREEDOM!!!

Chuck

JACKIE1-25-15

pastedImage_1.jpg

0 Kudos

You may have COPD or you may have asthma or you may have both known as ACOS. The only way to know for certain is by taking a full PFT - pulmonary function test. Does it matter? You bet! The treatments for asthma and copd are not the same so folks with ACOS need to have a very special regimen. To make it more complicated, COPD as as lose a term as cancer - what type of COPD? What Stage of COPD? It makes a huge difference. 

I have Stage III ACOS with more prominent bronchitis than emphysema. 

Will you get better? That depends on what you mean by this term. Your lung capacity will not improve - it will continue to decline. Will you feel better? That's up to you! How much do you want to feel better? Are you willing to eat right, exercise, take recommended medications as prescribed, get vaccinated for flu and pneumonia, use air filters, avid smoke of all kinds including fireplaces, avoid perfumes, candles, cleaning products, and air fresheners, etc, etc, etc....?

Find out more COPD‌.

AnnetteMM

Hi and welcome!

0 Kudos