cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

What's your take: Are people aware that vape juice contains nicotine?

More teens are vaping, and many think it's nicotine-free 

Last week while I was visiting our office in Washington DC I took every opportunity to talk to shared-ride drivers about their understanding what vaping/juuling meant?  Frequently on my short trips I heard commercials on the radio suggesting that adults use Juul to quit smoking. Through these discussions I found that commonly many of these adult drivers didn't realize the vaping resulted in the absorption of nicotine.

Do people around you also believe that vaping doesn't contain any nicotine?

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
17 Replies
AnnetteMM

I used Juul to help me quit, but I knew there was nicotine. In fact, I think they're very strong.  Most people I've talked to about it know there's nicotine.

0 Kudos
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

AnnetteMM wrote:

I used Juul to help me quit, but I knew there was nicotine. In fact, I think they're very strong.  Most people I've talked to about it know there's nicotine.

Thanks for responding and sharing your experience. I appreciate the perspective.It's good to know that the people you know are aware of the nicotine.

Mark

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos
Jennifer-Quit

I don't think many young people realize that the addiction to nicotine is so powerful.  I worked with a young man for several years and  he vaped in order to quit smoking.  He eventually went back to smoking and continued to vape also.  I tried to talk to him without being too "preachy" but it fell on deaf ears.  

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jennifer-Quit wrote:

I don't think many young people realize that the addiction to nicotine is so powerful.  I worked with a young man for several years and  he vaped in order to quit smoking.  He eventually went back to smoking and continued to vape also.  I tried to talk to him without being too "preachy" but it fell on deaf ears.  

This perspective is valuable. Wonder how that information can better be shared. It's good that the commercials now say that nicotine is addictive but perhaps that isn't even heard during the commercial.  I for one listen to the side effects of commercials and the fast talking to see what seems odd or just to see if I can hear the words that they say. 

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos

What? Are you really saying that the industry is doing deceptive advertising? That's NEVER happened before! LOL

There's something about money and addictive products that just seems to go hand in hand as far as corporations are concerned. We force the tobacco industries hand so what do they do? They find a new way to introduce the addiction that has been their livelihood to children. Somehow I think they realize that these products are a lot like smoking, and might just get a new generation interested in their addiction, or should I say their livelihood.

Sorry for preaching. That industry just makes me so mad! But the bottom line is from what I've seen, most people think vaping is a completely harmless thing to do, just like those before us thought the same of cigarettes.

Chuck

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

chuck-2-20-2011 wrote:

What? Are you really saying that the industry is doing deceptive advertising? That's NEVER happened before! LOL

There's something about money and addictive products that just seems to go hand in hand as far as corporations are concerned. We force the tobacco industries hand so what do they do? They find a new way to introduce the addiction that has been their livelihood to children. Somehow I think they realize that these products are a lot like smoking, and might just get a new generation interested in their addiction, or should I say their livelihood.

Sorry for preaching. That industry just makes me so mad! But the bottom line is from what I've seen, most people think vaping is a completely harmless thing to do, just like those before us thought the same of cigarettes.

Chuck

Your humor is appreciated as well as  your passion.  

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
johnnyRingo5

I think they are aware but as Jennifer said above, I think they underestimate how addictive nicotine is.

I know several people my age (early 40's) who never would have smoked cigarettes when they were younger but have now picked up vaping.  I think the lack of cigarette smell makes people think that vaping isn't as bad but it really is just a new way for big tobacco to find new customers (addicts)

I made several attempts to quit smoking by switching over to vaping (before I quit for good).  I felt vaping lured me into a false sense of security and I may have been vaping more than I had been smoking.  It is best to avoid both smoking and vaping, as far as I'm concerned.

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

johnnyRingo5 wrote:

I think they are aware but as Jennifer said above, I think they underestimate how addictive nicotine is.

I know several people my age (early 40's) who never would have smoked cigarettes when they were younger but have now picked up vaping.  I think the lack of cigarette smell makes people think that vaping isn't as bad but it really is just a new way for big tobacco to find new customers (addicts)

I made several attempts to quit smoking by switching over to vaping (before I quit for good).  I felt vaping lured me into a false sense of security and I may have been vaping more than I had been smoking.  It is best to avoid both smoking and vaping, as far as I'm concerned.

The Santa hat on your avatar was a delightful surprise!

It's great to see the different opinions and different journeys.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos
anaussiemom

My vaps 6 yrs ago, DID NOT have nicotine!   I ordered them that" way online.
That being said 6 months into it.  I got terribly  sick from vaping.  (So did my sis 4 yrs ago)
I ended up on lots of different meds, to get the bronchial spasms, coughs etc to stop......

My sis ended up in hospital for 2 weeks!  (we had totally different brands).

We"  sis and I, only used the vaps to stop smoking there is no safe brand, of vap that is healthy.   They can be very deadly and dangerous to the lungs.  

I don't know why info is taking so long to come into play for these  sick, unhealthy, deadly devices?

* Angry Face*

0 Kudos