cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

acg1979

Quitting with Bipolar Disorder

I'm hoping to find a quit buddy that is also dealing with the complication of being mentally ill. I've set a quit date of December 19th, 2018. I often use cigarettes as a coping mechanism when my depression or anxiety is severe, as it often is.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
minihorses

Hello, my name is Julie and I have bipolar disorder.  I'm SO glad you reached out and aren't ashamed to say you have a mental illness.  The stigma surrounding mental health keeps so many people hiding their illness.  Not me, I have no problem because I freely tell people that I have bipolar disorder and that I am Classified, Categorized, Certified and Sanctified crazy and have the diplomas from each   Unfortunately, having a mental illness can make quitting harder as smoking is our escape and coping mechanism during episodes and/or stress.   I will GLADLY be your quit buddy.  This is my second quit here but it will be the last time I have to quit!  I learned a few things last time that I can impart on you if you have any questions.  Be good to and patient with your quit and I look forward to having you as a buddy.

Julie

acg1979

Thank you SO much! Have you set a quit date?

0 Kudos
minihorses

I'm on day 96 as of today.  Last quit was Oct. 2017 and made it to May of this year   I had a drastic event happen and guess what, it threw me into the pit of depression and I started smoking again.  I walked 3 miles to some woods looking for a place to sleep that day and I ended up bumming a smoke on my journey. That was the end of that quit.  STUPID because withdrawal is a living hell for me and I had to go through it all again.  The only good thing that came out of that was a VERY good lesson on what my mental breaking point is when it comes to quitting.  Now that I'm much more aware I'm confident this quit will last.  Let me know how you're doing, I love to help people with their journey and I especially like to help people with a mental illness because I can totally relate to the trials and struggles we share.  I'm no guru but I live with this s**t too! 

Julie