Thomas3.20.2010

You Are Here

Discussion created by Thomas3.20.2010 on Dec 12, 2018
Latest reply on Dec 13, 2018 by Giulia

Related image

The most important thing about getting somewhere is starting right where we are.

Bruce Barton - 1886-1967 - Author - Politician

I think nothing varies about your Quit Journey as much as where you begin. Some of us have been serial quitters. Others were smoking a pack or more a day right up to their Quit Date. I smoked very little and cut back to 10 sickerettes over the last 6 days by taking a puff or 2 at a time after "quitting" more times than I can count!. Each of us has to begin where we are.

Preparation is a step that most of us have to take. I have known folks who just put out the last cig and that was it but they are the exception rather than the rule. I paid attention to when, where, and why I needed that puff or 2 at that time. I learned what my triggers are. I planned like this - When I feel the trigger or am in this when, where and why  - what can I do instead? After all nonsmokers do theses same stressors whether it's losing a job or having to move or speaking with your boss or whatever. They don't smoke. They may freak out or be calm as a cucumber but they don't smoke. 

I'm glad I immediately began to learn stress relief right away! It came in handy when I lost my job at 100 days and my GodMother at 9 Months. I paid attention - which is how we learn. We have to be willing to learn to face Life on Life's terms without our fix! I came here and read and read and read. I shared my vulnerability along with my strength by blogging and asking questions when I couldn't find my own way. I shared one-to-one as well when it felt too exposed for the Community. I listened and learned and took it one step at a time. 

I also remembered to share my victories whether a milestone or an event and began to understand that this is a process - just when you think you've got it figured out your Quit Journey can throw you a boomerang and you have to be ready for the unexpected! That's where the Community comes in so powerfully! We've seen it all and we know how you can be blindsided and still make it through - Smoke Free!

If you are thinking of quitting for Christmas or New Year's think about paying attention and learning now. Ask yourself - in this situation what will I do instead? Read, listen, learn and reach out if you don't know your way! Soon, like the weather here in Colorado, your Quit Journey will change - you will change! You will recover your very Self and discover things about you that will help you grow and mature beyond your imagining! You will be blessed with so much more than just the money you save or the health you gain or the time you'll find available that you never realized you spent on your Addiction. You will have given Yourself and your Family the Best Christmas present ever!

Happy Holidays!

LLAP!

You can become blind by seeing each day as a similar one. Each day is a different one, each day brings a miracle of its own. It’s just a matter of paying attention to this miracle. – Paulo Coelho

Outcomes