cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Carmensan

How did you quit?

Today is my day one. I’m a heavy smoker and I just like smoking. I smoke when I’m happy, sad, angry, excited, bored .. you name it! I just need some motivation and I wanted to know how you guys did it and how your coping with it.. what do you do to beat the cravings? I’ve been thinking about eating clean, incorporating exercises etc... 

0 Kudos
15 Replies
maryfreecig

At the age of 54, I was struck with the idea that I ought to try quitting. I ran with that notion, made a plan, but most of all, said to self; you are doing this one way or another, so get used to it. This is what I thought before I quit and during the first month or so especially. I missed my decades long addiction and had to rely on truth to help me quit rather than my feelings.

Great question!!!

Carmensan

Thank you so much for sharing 

Personally, I used the patches. Along with that I did a lot of reading and learned all about addiction. From there, I learned how I interact with my addiction. And of course I used the support that was available right here in this community. And then, once I felt that I'd learned all that I could without actually quitting, I put out my last cigarette.

Congratulations on your decision! You won't regret it. I'd stay close to the site if you can in case you need a little encouragement or have any questions!

ONWARD TO FREEDOM!!!

Chuck. 

0 Kudos
Carmensan

if you don’t mind me asking. Did you feel the patch worked as well? I am currently reading up on what to expect and everything I can find online to help me with this. For me it is mentally challenging. I consulted with my doctor who doesn’t seem to care and I get it. I’ve done this to myself. Discovering this site maybe what I need for that little push of motivation. Thank you so much for your time 

0 Kudos

I used the patch. I quit on a Tuesday. Forgot to wear one on Friday. Went without and did okay. Saturday I was shaky so I put one on. The next week I forgot two days in a row so I stopped using them. (logically, if I hadn't missed the nicotine for 2 days, why would I continue using it?) (I was using the 21mg patch too.)

I put one in my wallet with the promise I would put it on and wait 45 minutes rather than smoke a cigarette.

It stayed there my whole 1st year.

Don't get hung up on the NRT program. Listen to your body.

Carmensan‌ I think the patches helped me to succeed. They don't take away the craves completely but they made it to where I could stand to be around myself and others. So yes, in my case I think they helped. I'm glad you're looking into all avenues available before quitting. We also have to be mentally prepared as well. That's what the reading's all about. Understanding addiction and how you interact with your own addicition. I'd recommend reading all you can and making an informed choice, just like you're doing.

Chuck

Strudel

I came to this site and did a lot of reading - including Carr’s book “The Easy Way to Quit Smoking ”. The support here is wonderful! I had smoked for 40 years and meeting others here who had been successful at quitting made me finally believe it was possible to quit! And that was 8 years ago! You can do this! Congrats on your decision to quit! 

0 Kudos
Carmensan

Thank you! This site is helping me a lot. After many fail of attempts I think I can do this because you guys did!