cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Pawr

Quit December 3. Feelings positive and doing okay with the nicotine deprivation but am struggling with the habit and ritual. Keep thinking obsessing about lighting up and seeing my little pals.

When do I feel good about doing this. So far it just sucks.

12 Replies
marciem

Congratulations on 6 days, Pawr!!  Believe it or not, you're right where you should be.

Obsessing/thinking about smoking/not smoking 24/7 is pretty much the norm, at least in my experience, for the first while.  I don't state a definite time, because we all vary.  It seemed like forever when I was going thru it, but it isn't forever, and in the grand scheme of our smoking life, really not very long.  Keep strong!!

I well remember the first time I had the thought "WOW, I haven't thought about cigarettes for two whole minutes!!"  I was so excited about it~~!!   I don't remember when it happened, but it happened, and then after that it was for longer periods and more and more often.  It took a lot of work and a lot of deep-breathing exercises to get me from actively "quitting" to done-deal "quit", where it is just what I am now, a nonsmoker who only has flashes of cigarette thoughts very seldom, and never in a positive way.

Just don't smoke... by whatever means necessary!  One step, one day, one crave, one thought at a time is how it gets done.  Don't romance those "old pals"... they weren't your friends, all they did was relieve the cravings brought on by previous cigarettes, that's why they felt good.  Smoke one now, there is no relief to be had, only instant regret.

Best wishes!!

Pawr

Thanks. My inner baby doesn't like being told no. I have trouble accepting that I can't ever take another puff even though my intellect tells me that's the only way.

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

On Sun, Dec 9, 2018 at 4:52 PM, marciem<communityadmin@becomeanex.org> wrote:

#yiv8899983606 * #yiv8899983606 a #yiv8899983606 body {font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;}#yiv8899983606 #yiv8899983606 h1, #yiv8899983606 h2, #yiv8899983606 h3, #yiv8899983606 h4, #yiv8899983606 h5, #yiv8899983606 h6, #yiv8899983606 p, #yiv8899983606 hr {}#yiv8899983606 .yiv8899983606button td {}

|

BecomeAnEX

|

You have been mentioned

by marciem in Re: Quit December 3. Feelings positive and doing okay with the nicotine deprivation but am struggling with the habit and ritual. Keep thinking obsessing about lighting up and seeing my little pals. in BecomeAnEX - View marciem's reference to you

Congratulations on 6 days, Pawr!!  Believe it or not, you're right where you should be.

Obsessing/thinking about smoking/not smoking 24/7 is pretty much the norm, at least in my experience, for the first while.  I don't state a definite time, because we all vary.  It seemed like forever when I was going thru it, but it isn't forever, and in the grand scheme of our smoking life, really not very long.  Keep strong!!

I well remember the first time I had the thought "WOW, I haven't thought about cigarettes for two whole minutes!!"  I was so excited about it~~!!   I don't remember when it happened, but it happened, and then after that it was for longer periods and more and more often.  It took a lot of work and a lot of deep-breathing exercises to get me from actively "quitting" to done-deal "quit", where it is just what I am now, a nonsmoker who only has flashes of cigarette thoughts very seldom, and never in a positive way.

Just don't smoke... by whatever means necessary!  One step, one day, one crave, one thought at a time is how it gets done.  Don't romance those "old pals"... they weren't your friends, all they did was relieve the cravings brought on by previous cigarettes, that's why they felt good.  Smoke one now, there is no relief to be had, only instant regret.

Best wishes!!

Participate in the conversation by replying to this email

This email was sent by BecomeAnEX because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from BecomeAnEX, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences. Be sure to click Save. News Digest emails are sent on Thursdays by default.

0 Kudos
marciem

Pawr

Pawr wrote:

Thanks. My inner baby doesn't like being told no. I have trouble accepting that I can't ever take another puff even though my intellect tells me that's the only way.

You don't have to accept, right at this point in your quit, that you can't ever take another puff.  You only have to accept that you won't take one today.  Or this hour.  Or this half hour.  Or this moment.  Repeat as necessary.  You will get to the point, with some work, that it won't be "I can't take another puff", but "I don't WANT to take another puff".  Then you're golden!!  It will happen, as long as you stay the course and don't smoke at all.  Just for today   .

Some folks can take the leap into forever when they first quit.  I wasn't one of them.  I had to do it minute by minute, crave by crave, the first week or so, and then half-hour by half-hour... but I did it and the promises made by those who went before me came to pass.  It got easier and easier, and became natural to NOT smoke and NOT think about cigarettes/smoking/not smoking.

You're doing great.  Tell that inner baby to STFU and listen to you!!  

beazel

Good job! Almost a week done...that's fantastic!!

Hang in there...quitting is hard, but doable.

You need to rewire your brain - you'll get there.

I'm a huge baby too so I can totally relate, I threw quite a few tantrums. Lol (Can laugh about it now!)

Habit and ritual are actually addiction. Read as much as you can - knowledge about the addiction is a powerful tool.

Your little pals are jerks and liars!!!

indingrl

This too shall pass and way to go...blog blog blog and please remember WE.... US....TOGETHER.... ONE breathe.... ONE second.... Your doing it! Yahoooooo

elvan

NOPE, Not One Puff Ever really IS the only way but as marciem‌ says...you do not have to do this all at once.  One baby step at a time is GREAT.    I got really sick and that first week was spent trying to breathe and really not struggling not to smoke but when I did struggle, I recognized that my addiction was a horribly behaved toddler who was going to start screaming and stomping and having tantrums at the most inconvenient times.  I can promise you that it gets better...after enough time outs...that "toddler" gets it.  

It really is one day at a time or one experience or emotion at a time but you CAN do this, stay close to the site..we all started where you are and we all had to do this one step at a time...we all want you to succeed.

Ellen

Sootie

All good advice here....let me just add two points of my own opinion.......

You are six days in and while that is FANTASTIC......it is early days. you asked...when do I feel good about doing this? Well, I'm going to guess that you smoked for WAY MORE than 6 days.....so how about if we give it a BIT more time. Smoking is a process of unlearning your old normal and learning a new normal. And it takes some time......but I can ASSURE you it is SO worth it. Hope you make it as I really want you to see life from this side.

My second point would be......stop referring to then as your buddies or your friends......even in jest it reinforces what we all thought as smokers....that we needed cigarettes and that they helped us. NOTHING could be more of a lie. So begin to see them for the dangerous, deadly and disgusting things they really are.

Stay Strong.

Pawr

Thank you. I am amazed at how mindless my habit is. I think about how often I lit up and the answer is any chance I could. Not even craving, I was just smoking like a machine.

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

On Sun, Dec 9, 2018 at 9:35 PM, Sootie<communityadmin@becomeanex.org> wrote:

#yiv6029211151 * #yiv6029211151 a #yiv6029211151 body {font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;}#yiv6029211151 #yiv6029211151 h1, #yiv6029211151 h2, #yiv6029211151 h3, #yiv6029211151 h4, #yiv6029211151 h5, #yiv6029211151 h6, #yiv6029211151 p, #yiv6029211151 hr {}#yiv6029211151 .yiv6029211151button td {}

|

BecomeAnEX

|

Re: Quit December 3. Feelings positive and doing okay with the nicotine deprivation but am struggling with the habit and ritual.  Keep thinking obsessing about lighting up and seeing my little pals.

reply from Sootie in Conversations - View the full discussion

All good advice here....let me just add two points of my own opinion.......

You are six days in and while that is FANTASTIC......it is early days. you asked...when do I feel good about doing this? Well, I'm going to guess that you smoked for WAY MORE than 6 days.....so how about if we give it a BIT more time. Smoking is a process of unlearning your old normal and learning a new normal. And it takes some time......but I can ASSURE you it is SO worth it. Hope you make it as I really want you to see life from this side.

My second point would be......stop referring to then as your buddies or your friends......even in jest it reinforces what we all thought as smokers....that we needed cigarettes and that they helped us. NOTHING could be more of a lie. So begin to see them for the dangerous, deadly and disgusting things they really are.

Stay Strong.

Reply to this message by replying to this email, or go to the message on BecomeAnEX

Start a new discussion in Conversations by email or at BecomeAnEX

Following Re: Quit December 3. Feelings positive and doing okay with the nicotine deprivation but am struggling with the habit and ritual.  Keep thinking obsessing about lighting up and seeing my little pals. in these streams: Inbox

This email was sent by BecomeAnEX because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from BecomeAnEX, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences. Be sure to click Save. News Digest emails are sent on Thursdays by default.

0 Kudos
anaussiemom

it is hard for me at night especially. Playing Pogo.com scrabble and spades, with folks around the world.. My quiet time and lots of smokes once upon a time is hard.   Your doing great.

0 Kudos