cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mandolinrain

I am SO going to make this my new adventure

To me there is something romantic about the Cello. I have always wished to know how to play one and made the decision it will be my new adventure for 2019.

I love ...no... I adore music.

I started with flute and piccolo and then tenor sax. Piano, self taught ..not that great but enough to get by.

Guitar at age 17..then came Mandolin .... ( only because I came across my  grandfathers Mandolin)  Tenor Banjo, because its a no brainer,...fingering the same as my Mando....( Did I mention I am a big folk music/bluegrass fan)? I bought a fiddle a few years ago due to fingering much like Mandolin...but never got stuck to it . I also have a dulcimer I mess with sometimes.

Dunno why. But CELLO...oh I have always admired it...its sound. SO once I am done with the currant health issue, I am off to buy a  used Cello and will begin practicing. There something so romantic about it...soul searching resinating  from it, It Echoes and I LOVE it.

Flute and Mandolin will always be my first love.

How about you ?

Do you play an instrument? What one and if you don't...what one would you wish you played ? Its' never to late to learn.

Tags (1)
31 Replies
SaraCorinne

I played clarinet in school, always 1st or 2nd chair.  I dabbled in alto clarinet.  I always wanted to play saxophone.  Guitar hurt my fingers too much.  Growing up we had a banjo.  I could play the beginnings of, Smoke on the Water, lol but that hurt my fingers too.  I bought a flute at a flea market.  My husband bought me a whole case of harmonicas for Christmas a couple years ago.  My husbands parents made him take accordion lessons and he still has it, that's a blast to play with, although I don't really know what I'm doing.  My son played trumpet all through school and LOVED jazz band!  One day he brought home an upright bass because he wanted to learn and taught himself.  That thing was SO BIG the neck stuck out of the window of our little car.  His senior year, the jazz band sent a video to the Essentially Ellington Jazz competition.  They were one of 15 or so bands, across the country , to be chosen!  They got to go to New York and play on stage at the Lincoln Center!  They played 3 songs and the middle song featured my son on trumpet!  I was SO PROUD OF HIM!  I wish I knew how to share that video with you!  You'd be proud too!  I also have a Mandolin and found a place that teaches lessons, I think I might sign up for a class.  I have all this extra money laying around from not smoking, might as well spend it, right?!!

Yo-Yo Ma? 

I was a singer first

Learned to play guitar on my own to accompany myself.

Had private voice, guitar and piano at Cal Arts.

Play banjo (tenor and bluegrass), 4 and 5 string bass and had a drum kit and played it on my recordings for 10 years

Played bass and led the church band for a few years.

Best Of Yo Yo Ma Cello - Yo Yo Ma Playlist - YouTube 

Daniela2016

Wow, I am totally overwhelmed by you guys.  The only instrument I used to play was my voice, and even won some school contest in 9th grade.  My parents has me in piano class, but I found it boring and did not apply myself to it properly, now I wish I did; the only notes I remember are those of Fur Elise.  Then dad got me a guitar, and paid for an instructor but I found it hard to play.

Missy, I think your new adventure sounds wonderful, can't wait for you to record a cello mini-concert for us

Mandolinrain

haha, dont hold your breath   I have to rent  one first. Not putting that much on an instrument till I see f I can play it. Biggest reason I switched from guitar to Mandolin and fiddle was because I can grip it easier with my hands that have arthritis. Not sure Cello will be too much for my hands yet.

YoungAtHeart

You, woman, are AMAZING!  I played the clarinet through school - but never picked it up again.  I bought a guitar, but was never in the mood to do the practice required to master it.  I like music, but actually prefer solitude.  I think raising two girls as a single Mom - and no money to do much but be with them - once it got quiet, I have adored that!!!

Is there anything artistic you can't do??  (rhetorical question - I have no doubt you do it ALL!) 

AND you quit smoking, too!

You are a treasure!

Nancy

Mandolinrain

Art/music/writing are my things....crunching numbers...not so much. Technology I am horrible at. You guys are ALL my treasures. I could not have quit without you all.

elvan

Missy, I really hope that you realize how many people you have helped, how many lives you have touched positively.  You are amazing at everything you do.

Love you,

Ellen

SaraCorinne

I don't know how to share Youtube videos BUT I uploaded the video to Youtube this morning and found another about their journey to Essentially Ellington if anyone's interested. 

Search:  "Essentially Ellington 2014".  That's my son w/the trumpet!  There's 3 songs total, the one featuring my son, Chuck Myers, starts @ 7.30.  The other video is right underneath called, "On The Road To EE: Whiteland Community High School", it shows from when they got the news here in Indiana, all the way to New York City baby!!

This is the 2nd time an Indiana jazz band was invited!  

If you watch, let me know what you think!  Why do I feel like an old lady asking if you'd like to see pictures of my grandkids, lol?!??

SaraCorinne 112 DOF

Mandolinrain

Oh I will for sure. I need more time though. we have boatload company coming soon, so dont have time now, but I will for sure.!!!