cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

marciem

The Little Engine

Henry Ford once said "Whether you think you can or think you can't... you're right."

This holds so very true with quitting.  If you think you can't... you won't.  If you think you can, and listen to "The little engine that could"'s mantra of "I think I can I think I can I think I can" over and over in your brain, pretty soon you're singing "I thought I could I thought I could I thought I could.... and I DID!"

Attitude and mindset are all important in a quit.  A positive attitude ("I think I CAN"... "Oh this is fun!" haha)  will make the journey (somewhat) less painful, even when you feel forced to quit by something besides your own will... whistling a happy tune, accentuating the positive... those are part of the "fake it until you make it" motto.  Even when you feel like pulling your hair out (or better yet, someone elses!!  grrrrr!!), take a few deep breaths and "let your smile be your umbrella" to the world at large.   A good rant to supportive people (like us) doesn't hurt, get it out, vent... then bring back your smile.  (To be honest, nobody in the real world of nonsmokers wants to hear about it after a week, anyways)

Quitting is doable, by anyone.  Yes, you have to want to quit more than you want to smoke.  If you use tools to quit (NRT, chantix, wellbrutin, etc) that's fine.  I've seen some folks liken NRT to 'dumbo's feather' (i.e. you don't really need it to quit) and this is somewhat true, but if it is what gets you off the ground to a smoke-free life, USE IT!!  Dumbo did!!   There are many roads that lead to Smoke-Free Rome... as long as they get you there, that's all that matters.  There are no extra merit badges for having a more difficult quit, or making it harder on yourself, so do what you have to do, but DO IT.  The sooner the better!!

Build up excitement for being a nonsmoker, and then go for it.  It IS an exciting and life-changing adventure!

8 Replies

Sounds like you're doing well! Obviously figuring things out. Good for you!! Words of wisdom.

ONWARD TO FREEDOM!!!

Chuck

elvan

Beautiful, my friend...seriously beautiful...thank you for all of the encouragement you have given to ALL of us, no matter where we are in our quits.

Ellen

Gwenivere

I really want to quit and never have to think about it again.  This is the obsessive phase being at only a week.  It’s all encompassing.  It’s on my mind all the time.  Get a brief respite in what sleep I can get.  Don’t want to smoke, but dealing with learning how to manage when it sneaks up and whispers dangerous seductive thoughts in my ear.  How it then gets frustrated and uses my body to torment me with withdrawal symptoms when I say no.  Truly a formidable foe.  

0 Kudos
Jennifer-Quit

A good attitude will take you far - in this quit journey and life in general!  Nice blog!

beazel

Oh marciem, I'm so happy you are here!!!! Great post.

marciem

Thanks beazel‌!!  What a nice thing to say   .  It really made my day to wake up to.  I'm so happy YOU are here too, and doing so very well with your quit!!  I know how hard you worked it to get it to work!!!

0 Kudos
marciem

I thought I'd bring this forward for new after-the-first-of-the-year and springtime quitters.  Dumbo has been released so if he can fly, so can you!!

TW517

I thought my liking your latest reply, would bring the post forward to the top.  I guess "Likes" don't do that.  But this comment should .