marciem

The Little Engine

Discussion created by marciem on Dec 8, 2018
Latest reply on Dec 9, 2018 by marciem

Henry Ford once said "Whether you think you can or think you can't... you're right."

This holds so very true with quitting.  If you think you can't... you won't.  If you think you can, and listen to "The little engine that could"'s mantra of "I think I can I think I can I think I can" over and over in your brain, pretty soon you're singing "I thought I could I thought I could I thought I could.... and I DID!"

Attitude and mindset are all important in a quit.  A positive attitude ("I think I CAN"... "Oh this is fun!" haha)  will make the journey (somewhat) less painful, even when you feel forced to quit by something besides your own will... whistling a happy tune, accentuating the positive... those are part of the "fake it until you make it" motto.  Even when you feel like pulling your hair out (or better yet, someone elses!!  grrrrr!!), take a few deep breaths and "let your smile be your umbrella" to the world at large.   A good rant to supportive people (like us) doesn't hurt, get it out, vent... then bring back your smile.  (To be honest, nobody in the real world of nonsmokers wants to hear about it after a week, anyways)

Quitting is doable, by anyone.  Yes, you have to want to quit more than you want to smoke.  If you use tools to quit (NRT, chantix, wellbrutin, etc) that's fine.  I've seen some folks liken NRT to 'dumbo's feather' (i.e. you don't really need it to quit) and this is somewhat true, but if it is what gets you off the ground to a smoke-free life, USE IT!!  Dumbo did!!   There are many roads that lead to Smoke-Free Rome... as long as they get you there, that's all that matters.  There are no extra merit badges for having a more difficult quit, or making it harder on yourself, so do what you have to do, but DO IT.  The sooner the better!!

Build up excitement for being a nonsmoker, and then go for it.  It IS an exciting and life-changing adventure!

Outcomes