cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

rgr2018

Info regarding quitting nicorette adiction

Hi there - I am getting ready for my "big" quit on 1/1/19, and my daughter and son-in-law are quitting with me. Yeah!!! When I told my younger sister about my quitting she surprised me by saying she wanted to quit the gum she has been on since quitting smoking many years ago.  Her use of the gum has been off and on but she wants to quit for good.   Does anyone have some information regarding quittiing Nicorette that I could pass on to her??? I don't know if there is a separate group for quitting the gum, but from what I've read, it can be very difficult.  Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help.  Regards, Rosemary

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
8 Replies
YoungAtHeart

I would recommend they start by putting each piece off as long as possible; distracting and being busy is the easiest way to support this.  Then, start to cut each piece in half, then quarters.  Then substitute a piece of gum of the same flavor for every fourth one chewed, then every third, then every second...then to all regular gum.  There will be some withdrawal symptoms when they are free of nicotine as their body adjusts to life without it, but the freedom gained is SO worth it.

I hope they will join us here on Ex and blog their journey so we might learn from their experience and thus help others down the road.

Nancy

rgr2018

Thank you Nancy for the advice for my sister.  I forwarded you message to her and suggested she join the club!! Regards, Rosemary

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

She DOES need to do this, and I hope she is willing.  I have heard of things like mouth sores and ulcers from the stuff, and then she would have to quit immediately - which would make it tougher than a gradual approach.  She should begin with the same mindset as for quitting smoking.  She should make a list of reasons to quit it, and benefits she hopes to see (extra $$ will be a big part of that!)  She should do the charting of when she uses it and the reasons - then things she might do instead to put it off as long as possible.

Tell her I am always available (as are others here) to help any way we can.

0 Kudos
rgr2018

I've also read about hair loss and kidney damage.  Thanks for the advice and the welcome.  I think my sister will be signing on soon!!! Best regards, Rosemary

AnnetteMM

I don't know that it would be any different than quitting other forms of nicotine.

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

The difference might be that they can chew the gum anytime, anywhere - which might actually produce MORE associations and triggers!  Yuck!

AnnetteMM

Oh sure, that makes sense. I'd rather have a minty fresh gum!

user11081980

I turned to nicotine gums about a year ago; I had to chew two 4mg gums at a time to control my cravings. I then switched to lozenges and I am currently in the process of quitting them for good. Although I don't smoke anymore, I find myself addicted to these nicotine alternatives and I made a commitment to my wife and myself to quit them for good. I'm trying to delay the first use until late in the afternoon; the cravings are very strong but not as strong as when trying to quit smoking, at least for me. I read that one could feel light-headed for the first two or three days.

0 Kudos