cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Gwenivere

Boggled mind boggle

I did start my quit yesterday with the 7mg. patches and lozenges to help cravings.  I think it was the worst night in my life.  OK, a little dramatic there.  But the withdrawl seemed worse than ever.  I called the Quit Line for WA and they said it did sound like intense withdrawl.  While I was out today I bought 14mg. patches to try Friday as I have no obligations.  I’m loony enough from this to inflict that on unsuspecting innocents.  

I know the goal is no nicotine but I know me and have to have help before I tackle that.  I’m curious if anyone else here ever used NRT that was too low.  The Quit coach just kept telling me it was up to me, which is true.  She recommended more lozenges, but they cause nausea if you take them too close together.  Digestion is trashed as it is.  I’m sick of taking showers for the sweaty feeling too.  No sweat, just the feeling.  

My poor dogs.  Their living with a crazy woman!

0 Kudos
36 Replies
JACKIE1-25-15

Sorry, Gwen, I don't have an answer.  I searched but could not find the anything related.  Someone should be along to help.  In the meantime, I will try to keep searching to see what I can find.  I do know that your usage is based upon the number of cigs you smoked before quitting. 

virgomama

I have no answer for you either, Gwen.  It doesn't seem to me the 14 mg patch would hurt to try.  Your withdrawals are driving you crazy anyway.  If your goal is not smoking for right now keep working it until you find a dose that safely works for you.  I know what your'e saying about the lozenges, because the gum does the same thing.  I couldn't chew it very long.  sure wish the patch was working better for you.  Maybe the 14 mg will. 

Deena-A-Yenni

Morning!  I have nothing to add about the patch but do you walk the dogs or do they have a fenced in area?  Perhaps getting your blood flowing couldn't hurt??

Barbscloud

Congrats on starting your quit.   Don't have any info on the patch strength.  I used Welbutrin and nicotrol inhalers this time.

Barb

0 Kudos
desiree465

It makes sense to me that maybe you're going too low on the patches if your withdraw symptoms are that bad. I too think it couldn't hurt to go up on the dose and see if that helps. You're not smoking tobacco and that's the most important thing so if you have to go up on the patches then so be it, nothing wrong with that. 

YoungAtHeart

The patch dose depends on how much you were smoking when you quit.  Each cigarette contains about 1 mg of nicotine.  Try to match your patch dose to that.  Your symptoms could be from too much nicotine, too.

A lot of folks here couldn't wear the patch to bed - they put a fresh one on in the morning.

This quit thing isn't easy and it takes resolve in the early days.  It does get easier as time passes.

Hang in there!

Nancy

elvan

I don't have any experience with the patch but I do think that of all the NRT's, it is the best because you are not slapping another patch on every time you feel like you need some nicotine.  Congratulations on beginning your quit...it really does get easier.  I am so sorry that your withdrawal symptoms are so intense.  I hope you are drinking lots of water and trying to get whatever exercise you can tolerate.  

Sending you a big hug.

Ellen

The patch is the best.

No repetition connections every time you think of smoking.

Easier to get off. 

Gwenivere

I wish I could get exercise.  It would help to dissipate the restlessness.  Back problems put the kabash on that.  I was volunteering today and it’s so painful walking around.  Years ago I was all over that place, long halls, taking stairs, pushing more people in thier wheelchairs.  Now I hobble and moan.  I did up the patch by doubling up the 7’s til I bought some 14’s.  I definitely have noticed when I stay busy it’s more tolerable.  Even sitting down to catch up here or do personal mail I get edgy.  I get anxious which mimics the hot feeling from withdrawl.  I’m not doing well figuring out what to do with the free time.  Lots of things I’d like to do, but they hurt too much.  This is a terrible combination.  I wish I could sleep thru this adjustment.  Escape.  I’m sure you’ve all heard it before.  My body and mind are so confused about what’s happening to them.  It’s odd to get accolades for doing something I don’t want to do.