cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Cdcraig17

Is it safe to quit cold turkey late in pregnancy?

Hi. Please don’t judge. I am 34 weeks pregnant and am absolutely disgusted with myself for still smoking. I want nothing more than to quit told turkey right now but have heard mixed things. Is it more harmful to quit cold turkey this late in or not? 

I have heard from some that there is nothing wrong with quitting cold turkey while pregnant and heard from others who have lost their baby after quitting cold turkey. I know it’s awfully late for this but I want to make the right decision now. Has anyone else been through this? 

30 Replies
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Cdcraig17

Glad you found us!

No judgment here.  We have some pregnancy information for you. Certainly consult your health care professional regarding your health and the health of your baby.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
Cdcraig17

Thank you for the information! I will definitely be consulting my physician this week. Just wanted to see if anyone here had any personal experience with this situation. 

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

You're welcome. Also if you are subscribed to text messaging, you can reply BABY to the number you receive text messages from to receive text messages from us specific to pregnancy.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
JACKIE1-25-15

Welcome to EX.  I believe it is never too late to quit.  Have you spoken with your doctor about it?  Here is a link to some myths about smoking and pregnancy.  Education is the key to having a success on any topic. 

Myths: Smoking and Pregnancy | Smokefree Women 

More to come. Tobacco Use and Pregnancy | Reproductive Health | CDC 

Please read and educate yourself for you and your baby to come. 

Cdcraig17

Hi! Thank you for the warm welcome and the information! I haven’t spoken to my doctor as I’ve been too embarrassed to ask and to be honest haven’t had the drive or will power to quit until recently. I am so ready to quit right now, just concerned about the way I should- whether to stop altogether or ween myself off. I wanted to see if anyone here had any input or previous experience before talking to my doctor at my appointment this week. 

JACKIE1-25-15

You are welcome.  I am happy to hear you will consult with your doctor.  It is very important that they are aware. 

dscala

I think you should talk to your doctor but the whole "quitting will be more stressful to the baby" was started by the tobacco companies. They want you to stay hooked. Quitting, at any point, is the best thing you can do for yourself and your baby. Don't worry about them judging you, they won't. A lot more people smoke during their pregnancies than you think. Good Luck! you got this!

elvan

I remember being told that the later in your pregnancy that you quit, the better it is for the baby...obviously quitting at the very beginning is best but not everyone is successful at that.  The idea that the stress increases so much is really not true...stress is CAUSED by smoking, not relieved by it.  I could not smoke when I was pregnant but I vomited ALL THE TIME.

Sending you a HUGE hug.

Ellen

0 Kudos
gregp136

Honorable son #2 was born at home with a midwife and a doctor.  After the birth, the midwife showed me the placenta.  My wife smoked through the pregnancy.  The placenta, instead of being all red for all that good stuff to get to the baby had white spots where nothing could pass. It is why babies of smokers are underweight.  It was an amazing visual.  On the other hand he is a healthy 35 yr old today.  I just wish we could have given him a better start.