cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

BabyD18

Does Vaping help with not wanting a cigarette?

Does anyone here Vape? And how much does it help with not wanting a cigarette?

Labels (1)
66 Replies
YoungAtHeart

I searched and found several articles:

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-care-news/articles/2018-07-10/study-vaping-doesnt-help-smokers-qu... 

Vaping E-Cigarettes and Quitting Smoking 

storybreak stars');background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:center}.editor .editor-inner div.... 

There were a few that stated they were helpful, but their conclusions were questionable because they were presented by vaping interests.  I personally question how something that mirrors smoking:  hand to mouth motion, inhale/exhale, hit of nicotine can help.  It might be a healthier way to get nicotine - but so is the patch!

There are some on the site, I think, who have used it successfully and I hope they will weigh in.

Nancy

desiree465

I tried the vape a few quits ago and I just became addicted to the vaping and then went back to smoking. I don't know anyone that's been able to quit with vaping, they usually just get addicted to that instead of cigarettes. 

maryfreecig

Welcome to Ex! There are many ways to deal with quitting, but I can appreciate your question about vaping. When I quit, I had a vaping package ready to go in case I grew weak (I'd made a plan for about three weeks before I quit). There are a few here on Ex who did use vaping for a relatively short period of time--the goal being getting off nicotine altogether. The concerns about vaping long term is that it too continues the addiction and the stuff in vaping products is not really regulated--it can have loads of bad junk in it. Prolonging the hand to mouth connection action is another problem. Here at Ex (and elsewhere online) you can learn about the addiction and get support. You can get over the addiction--eventually the want goes away. Yes you can one day at a time.

BabyD18

Thank you so much!!

maryfreecig

You bet!

Because it involves exactly the same motions as smoking, I call it "smoking with a battery."

Of course, everyone has the choice but how can you unlearn and disconnect from smoking when you are going through the motions?

JACKIE1-25-15

Baby D,  The EX Community.

You have come to the right place for support. Vaping seems to have it draw backs.  You are still doing the hand to mouth action as smoking which is behavior that has to be changed.  It has started to be banned from the younger generation.  So there must be something wrong with it.  Like smoking they have all the warnings posted and we refuse to pay attention.  You are young and it would be a blessing moving forward to a wonderful life without smoking.  Does your BF smoke?   We have to set boundaries and let our friends and family know that we are quitting smoking.  One day at a  time with support quitting is doable. Get rid of all smoking paraphernalia. Having the right attitude plays a major part in being successful. Also, you must educate yourself about nicotine addiction.  NOPE (Not One puff ever) will keep you free.  

Start First, by educating yourself about nicotine addiction.  Education is the key to a successful quit.

Understand the law of addiction.

Law of Addiction 

Administration of a drug to an addict will cause re-establishment of chemical dependence upon the addictive substance."

Read: Freedom from Nicotine My Journey Home and Nicotine Addiction 101   Here are the links      http://whyquit.com/whyquit/LinksAAddiction.html   and http://whyquit.com/ffn/  

Also Read   Allen Carr’s book, “Easy Easier Way to Quit Smoking”.  Which can be purchased of found pdf format on the internet. You can start here My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX  Help Community to learn how to navigate around the site. 

elvan

Welcome to EX, education, support, and commitment will do more for you than ANY vaping but I did not use it so I have no real experience.  Congratulations on your decision to quit!

Ellen

karenjones

My brother is in pallative care as we speak.  In March he had most of one lung removed, 2 ribs, and two vertebrae.  He was a vaper. Was is the operative word. Go ahead, vape, but it will give you cancer and it will kill you. Does that answer your question?