cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

Winter is Coming!

Each of us who suffer from COPD has their own unique combination of airway illnesses which requires specific treatment. For some it is emphysema and shortness of breath which stands out while others may have asthma/COPD combination (ACOS) and still others have frequent illness caused by every flu or pneumonia bug they come across. know your ailment! Know what sends you into an exacerbation and know what overwhelms your day. We're totally influenced by our environments be it air freshener, germs, or inclement weather. 

With winter coming on I found this article particularly relevant: 

@Which Patients With COPD Are Affected the Most by Extreme Weather? 

I live in high altitudes which many COPDers would find intolerable while the next person could not take the extreme heat of desert  areas or the extreme humidity of beachside locations. While many of us are not likely to relocate due to COPD it helps to become familiar with how your climate effects you and what you can do about it. The main thing is be aware! Knowledge is power and can make all of the difference in maximizing your quality of Life! 

That's what we're all about - smoke, pollution, air quality, all factors make another good day or another hospitalization, ER trip, and missed work. 

Live Long and Prosper!

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
2 Replies
Gma_Bernie

Cold dry air, i.e., Minnesota in winter, is what gets me. My doctor said wear a scarf! This whole COPD thing is new to me. But it certainly can slay one. I will do anything within reason to avoid another exacerbation. It may mean staying in the house more. Which is bad for my depression. So... What does one do?

elvan

I have a combination since I have asthma and emphysema and I have had lung volume reduction surgery so I am not dealing with a full set of lungs here.  I started to write deck but thought better of it.  The cold doesn't seem to bother me but humidity does and so does dry heat.  I use my inhalers as prescribed and I use my nebulizer when I need it which is more often these days than it used to be.  I work out five days a week...six if you count working and walking back and forth carrying trays and checking people out.  I have the worst chronic back pain I have EVER had but I accept that it may not ever go anywhere so I have to do whatever I can to keep moving.  It is, for the most part, less intense when I am active and distracted.  I do walk with a decided limp these days but that's no big deal...I thank you, Thomas, once again, for the information.  My father had emphysema and it was aggravated terribly by cold weather, that does not seem to be the case with me.

Gma_Bernie‌ If you have to stay in the house more, develop a plan.  You can work on crafts, you can allow yourself at least short periods outside, you NEED fresh air...I certainly do.  Make yourself a peaceful spot and meditate.  Exercise if you can, it really makes a difference with depression AND COPD.

Hugs,

Ellen

0 Kudos