Jump to solution

I need to get some patches but I can't afford them are they free

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi dargon24567‌!

Your best bet is to contact your state's quitline (800-Quit-Now) to see if they offer patches. I looked at your profile and it doesn't appear that you have an employer or health plan provider who sponsors you here on EX.

You can check out NAQC Quitline Map before you call to see what they might provide.  I would also check with your health care provider and your county to see what local options might be available to you.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team

View solution in original post

8 Replies
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi dargon24567‌!

Your best bet is to contact your state's quitline (800-Quit-Now) to see if they offer patches. I looked at your profile and it doesn't appear that you have an employer or health plan provider who sponsors you here on EX.

You can check out NAQC Quitline Map before you call to see what they might provide.  I would also check with your health care provider and your county to see what local options might be available to you.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

A good beginning for your search is here:https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/quit_smoking/cessation/pdfs/1800quitnow_faq.pdf .  You can also call a local hospital or health department.  What is available depends on how your state decided to spend its share of the tobacco company lawsuit largess.

The most important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body

and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. You can search for it online or at your local library. Here's a link to a video here on the site which describes nicotine addiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be.

You should also read the posts here and perhaps go to the pages of folks who you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com, quitsmoking.com and livewell.com for the good information contained there. @https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex has lots of blogs written by members of this site with their experiences and guidance.  You should do the tracking and separation exercises suggested here on the site, too.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from when you smoked. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different. Buy your gas at a different station. Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you from which to sip. Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:
 https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

Jennifer-Quit

Depending on how much you smoke - the patches are usually significantly less expensive than cigarettes.  I used the generic brand and they worked just as well as the name brand.  They also stuck to my skin better.  Best wishes to you!

Like Jennifer-Quit‌ said, the patches are usually less than cigarettes.  I also used the Walmart brand and they stuck better and half the price!

elvan

Do the reading as YoungAtHeart‌ advised...being educated about this addiction helps immensely with preparation, so does support from all of the EXers here...many of whom have used patches.  The biggest thing to remember is that NOTHING will quit FOR you, you have to bring the commitment yourself.  We will all support you in any way that we can and we all want you to succeed.  Stay close to the site, read blogs, reach out for help when you need it...

Welcome to EX,

Ellen

Gwenivere

Mark is right.  All states have one.  I called 800-784-8669.  I live in Washington and there are coaches 24/7 and our state supplies 14 patches for free.  It’s a start.  My health insurance covers inhalers and generic nicotine replacement so you could check with yours.  I had to send in a form signed by my doctor which was delighted to sign to help.  If you don’t have insurance that covers it, I’m guessing the quit line would have some ideas for where you live that may be able to help.  2 boxes of generic 14 patches works out the same as a carton of cigarettes here.  

vaehsgram

If you have state health care or aid then it is usually covered by them otherwise I would do as the other person suggested and male that call. I couldn't use the patches was allergic to them. That's why I used Chantix  and it was wonderful! Well good luck I hope you can do this!

Get the right strength based upon how many you were smoking at the time you quit.