cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Rena0714

I quit smoking a little over a year ago.

I don't feel like myself.  I have difficulty concentrating, focusing, no motivation, irritability, depression, and anxiety. I am often very indecisive. I get stressed out very easily.  I have not smoked for over a year. I used Chantix and wellbutrin to help me quit smoking.  I quit the Chantix after 6 weeks because I was so depressed, crying and on edge. I found out later I should have gone off it gradually instead on just stopping taking it. I am still taking the wellbutrin. I have not gained weight. In fact I have lost at least 10 pounds.

I have quit 2 other times in my life. Each time I quit was for 5 years. The first time was cold turkey and I was in my 20s. The second was with Zyban (wellbutrin) and I was in my 40s.  In gained 10 pounds for ever year I quit smoking. So I would start again to lose weight, which I did. Each of these times the first 3 days were the worst. Then every day it got easier.  I did not have any of the above issues after quitting that I am having this time.

My concern or question is, are these issues I am having, still side affects from the nicotine withdrawal? Even after a year. I just feel like a bundle of nerves so much of the time and I can not do the things I use to enjoy because I can't concentrate. I don't have urges to smoke in the sense that I wish I had one. However, every once in awhile the thought crossed my that I'm missing something and then I think "oh that's right I don't smoke any more."  I have no problem with people smoking around me.  Does not bother me at all.

Is there anyone else that has experienced anything like this? I am looking for help or advise.  I am 62 now and if smoking didn't cost so much, I thought at my age I could out live the chance of getting cancer, or I thought it would make all these feelings go away, I would start again.  However, I don't have those guarantees so, there are no advantages to start again. I didn't go though all the initial withdrawals to throw it all away.

Looking for help or support,

Rena0714

19 Replies
Barbara145

Hello Reno.  At one year I still did not feel like I thought I would.  I went to a counselor because I thought it was mental.  I was 67 at the time.  She smiled at me and said, "It has only been one year."   Wow.  I left there and continued on with my life.  It has now been 5 years since I quit.  One year isn't enough for some of us that have been smoking for a lifetime.  I am so glad I quit smoking.  Life is so much better than it would have been had I not quit.  Hang in there.  Give it time.  Discover the new you

Rena0714

Thank you for your reply Barbara, I wonder why I didn't feel like this the last 2 times I quit.  I use to be an avid sewer/quilter/knitter/crocheter and all other forms of needlework.  I had to be constantly doing something.  I have done none of this since I quit smoking last September.  I did not smoke in my house.  If I wanted a cigarette I went outside or on our 3 season porch. So my activities did not interact with my smoking other than I can't concentrate to be creative.  I actually have to force myself just to get dressed. I usually don't.  I really don't go anywhere and when I do, I try to do everything in one day so I don't have to go out again. I have absolutely no desire to smoke. I also have absolutely no desire to do anything else. On another note, just taking a shower makes me out of breath. I don't wheeze and never did.  Does this sound like something will get better with time? As I am getting older, the things that use to have to be done I did them, now I physically can't.  My husband works 9 hours a day 5 days a week and 8 on Saturday.  He is just constantly tired. So we have limited interaction.

elvan

I think you might need to get a different antidepressant, perhaps the Wellbutrin is not working.  I also think you should see a pulmonologist sooner, rather than later.  Find out if you have lung damage that is causing you to feel out of breath and if your oxygen saturations are low enough to be causing your lack of interest in anything and your difficulty concentrating.  I don't remember feeling the way you  are feeling when I had been quit for a year but I do remember feeling disappointed that so many other people talked about how amazing they felt, how much more they could accomplish because they could breathe so well.  I continued to feel short of breath and, in fact, I felt that it was worse in some ways.  It wasn't about wheezing, it was about feeling like I was not getting an adequate air exchange.  I saw a pulmonologist more than a year after I quit and found out how much damage I had done by smoking.  I was also quite underweight at the time and it was related to the COPD.  You cannot cure  COPD but you can stop it from progressing by not smoking, eating a healthy diet, and getting regular exercise.  I smoked for 47 years with countless failed quits...I have now been quit for over 4 years and 9 months and it is something I do not regret for one minute.  I work out 5 days a week...I try to eat a healthy diet, and I work a job one day a week to be around other people.  I am older that you, I am 69.  You will feel better, but you are going to need to put some real effort into it.  I think coming here was a GREAT idea.  

Read blogs, see how others are doing, you can type in a search after clicking on the little magnifying glass on the right side of the black stripe at the top of the page.  You just might find someone who has experienced the symptoms you are having.

Good to see you here.

Ellen

karenjones

You are such a great role model.

elvan

karenjones‌ I just saw this comment, thank you.  I must return the compliment. You have been so active and seriously you have shared so much about your own journey, I think that your advice and comments are incredibly insightful.

Thanks again,

Ellen

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

I don't have that much time as a quitter.  I'm at 235 days, but my pulmonary doctor told me he has had patients that don't feel better for over a year.  He added it's hard for these people to keep their quits!   Hope this passes for you soon.  The goal is to feel better not worse.

Barb

0 Kudos
karenjones

Wow,  235 days a s a quitter!!!!! That is great.

YoungAtHeart

I would definitely have a chat with your doctor.  This all COULD be quit related, but there might be something else going on.

I am sorry you are not feeling like yourself, but smoking is never the answer to ANY problem.

Best get it checked out.

Nancy

Lauralives

Rena, I agree that a trip to the Dr might be in order.  Plus, as a person who lives with depression, this time of year and any change in seasons, can be a tough time.  Self care is #1,  Sending love your way.

Laura