cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Kelly16

Day 9: man oh man

Hi friends,

Just curious- During your quit, did you ever have moments where you wished you could go back in time to when you weren't focused on your health and were living your life however you wanted with no regard? For me, that "back in time" is not too long ago. It's been 19 days since I started Chantix, smoke free for the last 9. I know that what I've been doing for the last 9 days is the right path, there is no question. But tonight I find myself looking back on fond memories, before I started taking the Chantix when I would smoke whenever the mood struck. It wasn't a question on whether to smoke or not. It was just a part of life.  And I know now that it was the addiction. I know now that I was a prisoner to the craving. The urge of the demon that we call nicotine. But I'm just being real here- If you take a moment to take out the demon factor, the prisoner factor, the addiction factor...man oh man was smoking great. I am not trying to lesson the goal here. I am not trying to make a mockery of it. I am just being real. If I make it, and I will make it, through this smoke free journey, I will not lie to people about how much I enjoyed it. I will probably enjoy it for all my years. Doesn't mean that I have to partake, but I will not be dishonest. I loved smoking. I recall an episode of SNL during the Jack Handy's Deep Thoughts, when he says,

"Children, do not start smoking. But to the ones who have, isn't it great?" 

It's supposed to be humorous. It's supposed to not be taken seriously.

But there is a bit a seriousness in those words and you'd be lying if you didn't agree to some extent.

I mean, isn't that why we're all here?

Thanks for listening. 

23 Replies
YoungAtHeart

You write so well and with such insight.  I am gad you are here and honoring us with your thoughts.

I felt as you are feeling awhile back, and I hope my thoughts will help you navigate what is a very normal part of the quit journey:  /blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2016/04/29/romancing-the-cigarette.

I am keyboarding with only my left hand since my right is in a cast - so pardon my brevity, please.

Nancy

Gwenivere

I love your post!  I can so relate to it.  Yes, I loved smoking!  I assumed my doc never had and found out today she did big time for a long time and she still gets cravings.  She said she sometimes fantasizes about hitting someone up that does to bum one.  And you know what?  That makes her a better doctor because she can relate totallly.  She said they got her thru school.  This is just my logic, but if we didn’t enjoy it we would have tried much sooner to rid ourselves of it.  It felt good.  My dopamine receptors were very happy.  (They love chocolate too) I liked those first few drags.  One thing I did figure out is the belief we had to smoke the whole thing.  I got a snuffer and would have one cig last in the place of 3.  I had started my gradual quit a couple years ago when I noticed I wasn’t throwing away empty packs as often.  This applies to me only, I can’t speak for others.  Yes, it was a part of life I enjoyed and didn’t think twice about.  I didnt question those who didn’t smoke because they just didn’t.  Now what I notice is if I find out someone smokes (it’s such a closet activity now people hide) I say whoa!  Really?  I’m on a gradual quit still and I know we are ostracized.  I’ve never heard from one smoker they were doing it and hated it.  I’m ready to get rid of them because I have too.  It wasn’t my idea.  At least not yet.  But I will and never lie that I enjoyed the heck out of them.  I’ll miss my buddies.  But I gave up Jack Daniels too for wine as he doesn’t mix with some meds.  Same situation.  Wish I could pour one on a tough day.  I really notice smoking and drinking on TV And movies and sigh.  Times change tho and so do we.   Good luck on your journey.  You sound determined and that’s what it takes.  Mine will be put to the test in a couple weeks.  Strictly NCT and dropping that slowly.

Jimbone

Hello friend. You pulled on some serious underpinning with your insight. Called many of my numbers to a tee. I've got 51 days free today myself and you made me think whether I was in love with the habit. Answer might be for me that I didn't know that I wasn't but also didn't much care to know that my cigarettes, my 'pals' secretly had it in for me. Got up this morning with thought in mind of how much I have come to appreciate the Ray Liotta teevee ads. Where he says that thanks to Chantix, he's now starring in the greatest role he's ever played in his life now as a non smoker. For me the truth is, it was a dream. It can come true for me finally, and for you. I'm not a user of that particular NRT but much luck to you with it. Congrats on the days of freedom you have, we'll earn each and every one. Keep coming back, I learned from you today. Be in to win.

0 Kudos
marciem

Hey, Kelly!! Congratulations on your 9 wonderful days smoke free!!  That is really an accomplishment!!

As far as "I loved to smoke"... this is a controversial topic in quit-smoking circles.  I think all of us at one time thought "But I really do love to smoke", which means that quitting is giving up something of value, something "we love doing", instead of running toward freedom.

Over time, I've come to realize that NO, I did not love "smoking".

1.  I did love that relief from withdrawal that each new cigarette brought, withdrawal caused by the addiction and starting from the previous one I smoked.

2.  I loved the "me time" entailed in the last few years, where I could sit and cogitate, plan out my next hour of the day, feel the relief from withdrawal as the "reward" for my last job well done, or break in the midst of a task.

3.  I really did love the coffee and cigarettes, or drinks and cigarettes, when out with friends.  Those days are long gone with no smoking in bars or coffee shops.

4.  Again, the relief from withdrawal given by those first drags.... LOVED IT.  That's what keeps addicts coming back for more.

5.  The comfort of habit, like a warm blanket.  The ritual of smoking.  Habits are "home", they're comforting.  

OK, for #1 and 4 (which are the same ) once you have gone beyond the physical addiction, the happy comfy smoker inside you has left the building, there is no "aahh" moment, and there is nothing but remorse.

#5.  You can form new habits, picking up a book, playing games on the internet, learning to crochet or knit or needlework, sketching.

for 2 and 3... you can still have those parts of smoking you "loved".  Just change them up to something you enjoy doing, or eating.  You still get the breaks from work, you can still reward yourself for jobs well done, and you can still have me-time of doing nothing (smoking, without a cigarette... smoking is actually "doing nothing", no?) and it can be more enjoyable since you can breathe the fresh air and smell the flowers in spring and summer, and have no need to tolerate the cold, rain or snow in colder seasons.

I DID NOT LOVE:

1.  The harshness in throat and burning of eyes.

2.  The stink left over on everything, hands, hair clothing, car, carpets etc. etc. everything.

3.  The time I took away from family and friends to go get a fix the last few years I smoked, and after quitting the realization that I really had been cramming my life into the moments between cigarettes, always looking forward to the next fix and not really enjoying the moment with loved ones.

I honestly feel that once you are down the road a bit, you will no longer feel that you really loved smoking, and you won't have to lie.  I don't lie.  I didn't love smoking, I liked all the other stuff that went with it.  And those I still have.

elvan

Kelly16‌ I may have loved smoking at one time but it was so long ago that I don't remember.  I tried more than once to quit and my hatred of smoking grew stronger with each failure.  marciem‌'s response is the BEST I have ever seen.  I don't like about how I felt about smoking...I carry the scars from smoking with me all the time.  I REALLY hated the hold it had on me, the way it controlled me and made me feel badly about myself.  I honestly do not miss it, I still get an occasional "twinge" at a time when I would have smoked...particularly that "reward" cigarette after completing a difficult task.  My breathing never lets me forget that I used to do that.  You are so early in your journey (I am sure that you feel like it has been going on forever), it WILL get better and you may actually come to seriously appreciate the smells that you were dulling by smoking, the TIME that you have to spend with loved ones, the physical improvements you will get to enjoy...appearance, less stress trying to figure out when you can get a chance to smoke.  This journey is worth every step you take.  Are you celebrating double digits?  It seems to me that your 10 day anniversary is coming very soon. Congratulations.

Ellen

Kelly16

Yes, elvan‌, celebrating 10 days today.  

elvan

CONGRATULATIONS on DOUBLE DIGITS!  Awesome.

0 Kudos
swilson2

I am so happy for you Elvan a great time too celebrate.

DavesTime

Kelly, yes, I have felt as you do early in this quit and during the many previous, failed "quits" I have had.  I think what I have missed was the same  points that Marcie so beautifully shared, though being a closet smoker the social element was

not such a big factor.  But I (thought I) very much loved the lift I got from smoking and the relaxing feeling of taking a nice drag.  So yes, a part of me wishes I could just go back to not thinking/worrying about not smoking, to choosing to ignore what I know is the truth.  I did that many times when I was younger and (thought) I could get away with it.  Now at the age I am I know that I really couldn't/can't "get away with it."  Remembering that has kept me from actually slipping/relapsing.

As far as "wanting to go back in time," I like to think of my choice to try that first cigarette and continuing with the next ones as if it were opening Pandora's Box.  Once I opened that box I knew what smoking was like and I can never UN-know it.  The thing is, all lot of bad things came with opening that box.  If I had never "opened the box" (tried smoking) I wouldn't even have these feelings as if I enjoyed it.  But I DID open it, and now I have to deal with the bad things (health issues, cravings, wishing I could have just one more cigarette, etc.)  Does this make sense, or am I just rambling?

Dave

51 DOF