cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

c2008coolio

Tomorrow is the big day!

I chose tomorrow as my quit date and I have spent the last month preparing. I have done lots of reading, started a "quit journal" where I have written down lots of coping skills, things to do instead of smoking, health benefits and risks etc... I guess what I am wondering is, what should I expect in the first few days. I know the general stuff such as irritability, cravings, basic with-drawl symptoms, etc...And I have read some blogs on this topic. I was just wondering if there was anything in particular that people have experienced and what they have done about getting through it. Also, any suggestions in general. I have smoked for the last 8 years and have tried many times before to quit and have only managed to get a day or two. I am desperately wanting to stop for good this time for a variety of reasons, (predominately I want to model a healthy lifestyle for my 6 month old girl). I am going to be using the nicotine patch so I am hoping that will help. I guess I am also just looking for some support...I am so terrified I will never be able to quit and I am willing to try anything. The thing that has always kept me smoking is the obsessiveness of it all...I'll get the thought in my head and it feels like the only way to get it out is to go smoke. So any suggestions on getting rid of the obsession would be helpful to. Ok, enough rambling...thanks in advance for any suggestions or support! 

8 Replies
freeneasy

Congrats and good job doing the homework. Knowledge and support are the keys to success. One day at a time quitting is doable and this is the place to be. You'll never regret quitting. 

elvan

CONGRATULATIONS, your preparation should really pay off.  Stay close to the site and let us support you.

Ellen

0 Kudos
MarilynH

Welcome to the community c2008coolio please read everything you can about quitting smoking and remaining quit because there's a wealth of information right here on this site to strengthen your resolve to quit and stay quit and we're all here to help you in any way we can, you can do this quit believe it deep breaths and know that Day ONE will turn into DAY WON with many more to come......

0 Kudos
SaraCorinne

Instead of being terrified you'll never quit, try being happy about it.  Sounds crazy, I know but your attitude has a lot to do with your quit.  Changing the way you look at quitting can actually determine your success.  I took a lot of naps in the beginning of my quit.  You probably can't do that with a 6 month old.  Maybe you can take a walk with your daughter, get some fresh air in your lungs.  Quitting is easy......staying that way takes hard work and dedication.  When those craves hit, think of the reason you're quitting, your beautiful baby girl!  Hang in there and believe in yourself!

PS:  I didn't think I could quit either but with the help of Chantix and the wonderful people on this site, I can proudly say, I haven't smoked for 75 days.....and counting!

Giulia

Welcome.  When that smoking thought comes in, you must immediately change your focus.  I don't know what you've read specifically in the past month on here, but the following has helped many re focus:  Craving Buster Technique   Other ways of changing your focus is to get your mind occupied with a challenge.  Like doing a jigsaw puzzle, learning a new language, plugging your brain into a subject you've always been fascinated with,  trying something like Oragami.  We have to take some kind of ACTION when those smoking thoughts come in.  Exercise is a good tool, because it helps to replace the endorphin rush.  It's not easy, I grant you.  Those thoughts ARE just gonna be going through your head, a lot in the beginning.  But through continued practice, and acceptance of those thoughts, it will become easier and easier.  The one thing you don't want to do is dwell on them.  Keeping a journal is good idea.

Another tool that might help:  /blogs/Giulia-blog/2013/09/02/replay-the-relapse   

The real and true only way to get the thought out is through staying the course.  Time is what heals the thinking.  Glad you've joined us.

0 Kudos
prjimm01

sounds like you are ready to enjoy life my friend!  tomorrow, and forever after, you will be an EX.

StacyS

Perspective is everything! If you can control your thought process you get through this. Believe in the power of you! I wear the patch and it helps me a great deal. Focus on the fact that you will feel better, smell better and soon food will taste better. If you have allergies they may ease up too, mine did a lot.  You got this! 

0 Kudos

I found the root of my fear to be fear of change. When we quit, we kind of turn our whole world upside down for a few days. Before I quit, I always wondered what freedom would really feel like. I too prepped and tried to learn my addiction before my quit date and that helped a lot. I'm glad you took the time to prepare. It really, really helps to understand what is happening to you on those first days. 

I also used the patch and for me it helped some. Be advised you will still feel urges but the patches take the edge off of those which for most is all that is needed. You won't regret your decision!

We'll be here for you if and when you need us. CONGRATULATIONS on deciding to take back your life from slavery.

ONWARD TO FREEDOM!!!

Chuck

0 Kudos