cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Gwenivere

Next phase

I seem to have passes the dizziness phase.  Now I am nauseous a lot.  I use the lozenges so I’m pretty sure it is them.  Anyone else have experience with this?  I’ve also dropped on my budgeted 4 cigs to a bit over 3.  Using about 4-5 lozenges a day, 2mg.  This brings my nicotine input to almost 12 from 14 when I smoked exclusively.  I’ve been at this level for weeks and don’t understand why my body hasn’t adjusted like it did when I dropped from a pack a day to half.    Why did it accept that and not this?

12 Replies
Gwenivere

I also wanted to know if anyone experienced a sweaty feeling without actually sweating.  Sorry for all the questions, but I’m going rather crazy with all this.  I’m not going to do cold turkey either.  That is not for me and a guaranteed fail.  

0 Kudos
Barbara145

Are you reading all the wonderful materials about quitting smoking?  Dale use to say, " If you are quitting smoking and you are still smoking, you are doing it wrong."  I personally don't know how to advise you since you have not quit.  I do however wish you well.

I think we all react differently to quitting, just as there are different types of how we react to addiction. My wife, who still smokes three to four cigarettes a day got there and is kind of stuck, like you. The reality to me is that preparation can be confusing at best.

For me during my preparation, I was also down to four or five cigarettes a day. I used this time to learn my addiction for the day that I'd put out the last cigarette. Sadly, I think that as long as we feed them, those nicotine receptors that we created over all of those years stay just as strong as ever until we put out the last cigarette. It's just a sad fact of our addiction. And I think the reason your addiction accepted the huge drop in consumption was because deep inside, you knew you hadn't smoked your last cigarette yet.

Now that doesn't mean that you're not progressing! Getting down to that four smokes a day is a monumental achievement and right now I think you're doing the right thing by asking questions. I'm curious. Have and do you still track your urges and triggers? That was a huge help for me.

Preparation is about learning to understand ourselves as we relate to our addiction. It's about trying to see a life of freedom, something really hard for an addict to do because we spent so long convincing ourselves that life with cigarettes IS a "normal" life. I think we change our belief system in order to keep smoking. To convince ourselves that what we were doing was the right thing to do. And as such it takes time to retrain our minds to see through the cloud we created to remain addicted.

You've taken an important step. Please keep fighting. Keep learning and keep asking. I don't even know if I answered your question but I wanted to reply because you asked a question. Either way, just don't give up and keep looking inward. All I can say is that eventually you really can call a single cigarette your last. There's no way to completely lose our addictions without a fight and yes, a bit of internal discomfort. You really want to do this and as such, I think you will. Just try to stay focused on the main goal of nicotine cessation, and before long you'll be counting how many days you've been free!

One second at a time, we can become free! I look forward to hearing of your continued success! You can do it!!

ONWARD TO FREEDOM!!!

Chuck

JACKIE1-25-15

Why did it accept that and not this?

I think it may be that you are still feeding the addiction to nicotine and have reached a plateau. More than likely it is time to take the step to smoberity. NOPE.  Take what you can use and leave the rest. 

Gwenivere

I called my states quit line and we set a quit date in November.  They are sending me patches for 2 weeks.  The counselor was very helpful.  We settled on the 7mg. with lozenges as back up.  He had a great analogy (as they have found gradual quits %50 more effective for many) of approaching a stop sign and either slowing down as you approach or slamming on the brakes.  This gives me time to adjust to the idea and maybe get rid of the 3 I smoke or at least lower when they are not even an option.  Time to identify and prepare for triggers.  It’s the goal that counts.  

Thanks all for your input.  I would like to hear if feeling hot and nausea was common.  Google sites say yes.  It’s validating to hear from an actual person tho.  One thing I am learning is nicotine is a huge advasary.  

maryfreecig

I don't understand very well at all how nicotine works via a cigarette versus, say, a patch or gum. I do remember reading or hearing that smoking delivers nicotine to the brain the fastest--7 seconds more or less. Chewing gum may be sending stuff to your stomach that doesn't agree with you. Maybe?  

Sounds like you continue to take solid steps toward your quit. High five on that.

elvan

I am so glad that you have set a date and that you found the quit line to be helpful.  We are here for you and we all want very much for you to succeed.

Ellen

desiree465

All of those symptoms sound really common gwenivere, and I've read people on here saying they lasted weeks. They will eventually go away it's just going to suck for a little bit:( Keep talking about them though because it helps, I swear. 

Gwenivere

I bought all kinds of goodies today.  Bags of sugar free hard candies at the dollar store, cinnamon sticks and one grocery store had Dum Dum (anyone remember those) lollipops out.  I nabbed 5.  I figured if they nailed me I’d say I got one for each 14 inches of me.