cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

kawaldrip66

Chantix Ride

Hi, is anyone else out there taking Chantix right now to quit?  I have been on it for almost a month. I am wondering if anyone else has quit/stayed quit with Chantix and how it's going. 

Thanks!

0 Kudos
11 Replies
karenjones

I took champix (the trade name for varicline in Canada) for the first month or so and had lots of trouble with it (Nightmares, or incredible vivid dreams and stomach upset etc) I spoke to a pharmacist who said that her daughter had real bad side effects from it as well, so the pharmacist spoke with the rep from the drug company and he said that although it says to take it with a full glass of water he would recommend three glasses of water with each tablet. I started taking 3 glasses of water and that helped. but did not take the stomach issues away or the nightmares completely. So I spoke with another pharmacist and I said I don't think that it is a good idea for everybody to take the same amount of medication regardless of their weight or other things. He said that he agreed and advised to cut each tablet in half and to take that half 2X  a day, morning and evening. That did help and then I cut it into 1/2 tablet once a day and that worked too. I finished one of the monthly packs, and that took well over a month to do that and then I stopped taking it. It takes the edge off but the real work is still down to you.  I am 7 months and 7 days free from cigarettes (that was my tobacco of choice) .  Drugs can help, can assist, but the real work is still yours, it has your name on it. 

SaraCorinne

I am!  I loved the fact that you could still smoke while taking it, kind of took the pressure off (a little).  I was having a hard time choosing my quit date (scared to commit).  I was on it for 3 weeks and finally chose my quit date, 8-18-18, and haven't smoked since!  Like Karen said, it makes it easier BUT doesn't quit for you.  There's LOTS of hard work involved and the key word is COMMITMENT.  I know you've probably heard this a thousand times but you really have to want to quit to be successful.  

I took it as directed for the first month, twice a day but was having so much trouble sleeping.  When I got my refill, I started taking it once a day, in the morning.  That helped my sleeping problem.  I had to eat like a pig so I wouldn't get sick to my stomach for the 1st week until my body got used to it.  I didn't know you were supposed to drink a whole glass of water until I read Karen's reply.  The dreams are crazy but they're just dreams.  Mine tended to go along with whatever I watched on Netflix right before bed (I like scary shows) so I had to find a nice show to chase the scary show out of my head, lol.

All in all, Chantix works wonders for me and I am SO HAPPY I could use it.  I like it because it's not a nicotine replacement like the patch or gum.  Nothing wrong with those methods but with Chantix, once you quit you are no longer putting any nicotine in your system. 

This is my 2nd time using Chantix.  I quit for 1yr & 1mo back in '08.  Lost that quit because of reasons (excuses) that I won't go into.  I asked my doctor how long could one safely take Chantix and he said he knew a guy that was on it for a year.  He gave me a years worth of refills.  I don't know if I'll take it for a year but it feels nice to know I can if I want!

Bottom line....Chantix is a GREAT tool for quitting smoking but you must prepare yourself for the withdrawals that will come.  Make a list of things you'll do, besides light up, when those cravings hit like:

Deep breathing

Take a walk

Exercise

SCREAM

Chew gum

Suck on hard candy

Chew on a straw

Take a nap (my favorite)

Come here and read/blog - title your blog HELP and we'll ALL be right there to talk you out of it!  Just anything besides smoking!  

YOU CAN DO IT! 

Wishing you GREAT SUCCESS,

Sara 72 DOF (days of freedom)

PS:  Have you set a quit date or have to stopped smoking already?

minihorses

Yes I was on Chantix the first time I quit last fall. It really helped and the desire to smoke began to dissolve slowly but surely.  My bad for starting smoking again, my life went  fins-up so I went back to my old 'comforter', the nicodemon. It then took a headlock on me. I'm on Chantix again with 47 days quit and it once again it's dissolving the desire to smoke.  In my opinion it's the greatest thing ever to help a quit without using a form of aid with nicotine in them like patches, gum, or lozenges. I tried them all and they had horrid side effects for me it and quits using those didn't last.  Chantix can help you quit smoking and stay smoke free while you're learning to be a nonsmoker. You can continue to use it as a means to an end while you quit  but only IF you have a support system and knowledge of how to get there.  Both of those can be found here in abundance!  You CAN quit, you've already started the journey!  Keep up the great work, your commitment to your quit at the forefront of your mind, and we're all here for knowledge and support any time.

Julie

paradox55

I am taking Chantix as well, and on my 9th Day of Freedom. So far it's been a joy to not smoke, suffer no cravings, no withdrawal symptoms, and very minor side effects.

I read everything I could get my hands on before starting it, I also read everything I could about help and support, hints and strategies on quitting before I started. My thinking was the more prepared, the greater chance of success. This site and the support from the community has been fantastic.

Corinne

Rick_M

I used Chantix and quit smoking in '09. I had no adverse side effects and quit as per the instructions....take meds for 7 days and quit on day 8. Med is a great aid but you need support like you get from Ex and educate yourself on why you smoke. It is a day to day journey and the longer you stay quit the easier it gets. You can quit....many success stories here on EX and you can be one of them if you really want to leave the addiction behind.....

elvan

You didn't say if you had quit, just that you have been taking it for almost a month.  Rick_M is absolutely right...you CAN QUIT....NOTHING is going to do it FOR you.  You need to figure out why you smoke(d) and what you can do to stay smoke free.  Have a plan for what to do when you feel triggered...just don't smoke.  This is a one day at a time journey and sometimes, it is one emotion or one experience at a time.  When we smoked...we stuffed emotions instead of FEELING them...when we quit smoking, those feelings need to be dealt with without using our drug of choice.  It's okay to feel angry or sad or disappointed...it is okay to FEEL.  We have all had to start at the beginning and stay smoke free one day at a time.  I did not use Chantix or any nicotine replacement but not because I have anything against any of them, I just got so sick that I COULDN'T smoke and that was over 4 1/2 years ago.  I credit education about the addiction, support from this amazing site, and my own commitment with my success.  You CAN do this.

Ellen

Tabbiekat

Last October I quit smoking with the use of Chantix, it just took away any feelings I got from smoking and I quit before my planned date, relapsed, but quit the next day. I never took the full two pills a day and just took the one with breakfast/shortly after to avoid the stomach cramps. As long as I had plenty of food and water I had no cramping. I did have vivid, but not nightmarish dreams and a few sleepless nights the first couple weeks. I did start smoking again last month 10 1/2 months after my quit, I have reset my quit date to Nov 19th. I see my doctor on Nov 9th and plan on discussing taking it again since it did work well last time. I do hope you have or are close to quitting.

Tabbie

elvan

Tabbiekat‌ You have been missed.  It is good to hear from you.

Hugs,

Ellen

kawaldrip66

Thank you all!  I have committed to a quit date of November 30th. I am moving slowly!  I have already slowed down to less than a pack a day from my original pack and a half.  I won't smoke in my car at all anymore so I am trying to break those things that are just habit. I may not even want a cigarette a lot of the times, but will smoke.  Lots of work ahead for sure!