cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Kelly16

Day 6 -it is me or the Chantix?

Hello all, Happy Monday,

Today is Day 6 of being smoke-free. I have to say, the Chantix so far for me has been a miracle drug. All of my cravings are mental and not physical and so far I haven't really been close to falling into any sort of temptation. Now its relearning my life without cigarettes, which I think is the hardest part. I feel like I've ended a toxic relationship, which is great, but isn't exactly easy. I have moments where my mind distinctively says "I'll go have a smoke" and I have to remind myself that I am not doing that anymore. And I'm not ashamed to admit it, but I get a little sad for a few seconds after realizing that cigarettes aren't my "go-to"....I know it may sound a little weird but I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about.  The relearning process will take a long time I'm sure, but I'm not sure how much of the physical ease of it all is the Chantix working or the nicotine being out of my system. I do have concerns that when I get off the Chantix that everything will be hard. I couldn't stand up to temptation before the Chantix, so who's to say I can after? 

Thoughts?

8 Replies
paradox55

I'm exactly in the same boat. Absolutely no cravings or withdrawal symptoms on Chantix. I'm only a few days ahead of you. I had the same worries too....what happens when I no longer have Chantix to help me through? So I decided to stop worrying and start really getting myself prepared for that future time.

I still find myself thinking about cigarettes from time to time. I'm no longer automatically heading for the door to smoke after meals (before stopping and saying I don't do that anymore)

Husband still smokes, doesn't bother me a bit- we stopped smoking in the house years and years ago. I just want to keep feeling this way forever!

I think we've gone through the first stage with flying colors, and with determination and support, we'll always be EXs.

Corinne

elvan

I think you are doing GREAT, stay close to the site, many people go through a grieving process after quitting smoking, it's pretty normal.  I think the nicotine is out of your system and that's great...the psychological addiction is much stronger and longer lasting than the physical addiction but if you have a quit kit...My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX and you identify your usual triggers...you will be prepared to deal with any craves that come up.  It gets easier and we get stronger.  This recovery is an amazing journey...it's one day at a time.  You are doing GREAT.  Keep taking it a day at a time, keep it in today.  

You are DOING this.

Ellen

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

Don't be doing the what-ifs ahead of time.  You will be in a different place when that time comes.  You might do some planning for what you will do instead - just in case....but worrying about it now is counter productive.

I am sure you will do just fine.

Congrats on your job so far!

Nancy

Giulia

"I couldn't stand up to temptation before the Chantix, so who's to say I can after?"  YOU are the one to say.  You choose your journey by your thoughts.  So say "I CAN!  I WILL HANDLE IT"  And keep reinforcing that thought every day.  As Dale says over and over, it's about self-talk.  We convince ourselves that we can or we can't by the chatter in our heads.  So when you find yourself chattering with doubt, negatively, turn it - change the thought.  It takes some practice, but the more you do it, the better you'll get at it.

/blogs/Giulia-blog/2016/09/06/a-quit-dialogue-in-iv-acts?sr=search&searchId=adb742ce-28cb-43f8-81a3-...

SaraCorinne

I'm using Chantix too.  I think by the time we stop taking it, we will have relearned life w/o smoking and then we'll rely on what we learned!  

maryfreecig

Not having cravings is a positive. So keep doing what you are doing to relearn life without smoking. Thanks for sharing your experience with Chantix. And high five for all the progress you are making!

prjimm01

You don't smoke.  Period.  Not anymore. not ever.  Smoking Is Not an Option.  Not One Puff Ever.  You got this my friend.  enjoy your new life and share with us your happiness as an EX!!!

0 Kudos
Rick_M

Hi Kelly....Wow your blog has success wrote all over it. I was right where you are now and you are doing and thinking all the right things. Congrats to you for quitting and yes, you have ended a toxic relationship. Just focus on today and start your quit new in the morning. For what it is worth I took Chantix  for the recommended 90 days, cutting my dose in half about half way thru my 90 days. My quit never missed a beat after I stopped taking Chantix. Hope to see you posting your progress here on EX. The freedom from the addiction is oh so sweet, stay with your quit.....