cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

courtney10

Shortness of Breath

I've been tobacco and nicotene free for a little over a month. I never had shortness of breath as a smoker (okay, climbing stairs was a little tricky), but for the past couple of days I can't seem to get enough air in my lungs. Has anyone else had this experience?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
julie-rigolfi

I had that too and it made me a little nervous, as this is one of my phobias LOL. It did go away after a couple of days and now I am amazed at how much my lungs can actually take in. I have never been able to get such deep breaths.

congrats on your month!
0 Kudos
courtney10

Thanks Julie. That makes me feel a little better. Where are you in your quit?
0 Kudos
julie-rigolfi

You are welcome, glad that helped you feel a little better. I am on day 18 today. Well day 17 1/2, because I quit in the afternoon once I ran out of ciggies, LOL.
0 Kudos
Sylvia_Deitz

Hi Courtney! I remember in the beginning of my quit my chest just felt heavy and almost hurt. It felt worse than it did when I was smoking except the smoker's cough went away and I had very little phlehm. It seems like it took several months for that heavy feeling in my chest to go away. I do have emphysema, so I attributed it to that and the fact that my lungs were getting rid of all that junk....tar and nicotine. I used to wash the ashtrays after a long while since I only smoked outside and I would think how my lungs must look like that. It was really difficult to scrub that ugly black junk out of the ashtray! Our bodies are trying to clean up the mess we made of our lungs, so it's going to feel weird for awhile. Just keep taking those deep, cleansing breaths and blow out all the old stale air and before long you'll feel better.
0 Kudos

I had that too when I first quit. I was really worried about it. Then someone told me about doing deep breathing exercises a few times a day. Think about it, when you were smoking you had to inhale even taking deep breathes and now you dont have the habit of breathing in deep. start doing the long slow in and out deep breathing two or three times a day or whenever you feel like it and it will help that alot.
0 Kudos
courtney10

Thanks to everyone who replied. For anyone else with the same problem, it only lasted a few days. This too will pass!
0 Kudos