cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

desiree465

Any elders ever think that a lit cigarette smells good?

Or is it something that goes away and stays away. I guess I'm always afraid that I'm going to be triggered to the point of smoking, because I see people on this site relapse all the time and it scares me that I'll relapse.

37 Replies

Cigarette Smoke smells like death to me. But second hand smoke is very, very dangerous due to my COPD. I believe other elders may not find it repulsive. Try not to worry too much about the future - the future is simply a series of Nows so stay in the now and NOPE will happen!

GyorgyiM

I agree Thomas, cigarette smoke disgusts me! Ugh....

Also don't worry about what other people do or don't do....

This is about you and YOUR choices....

We can help you achieve a new and healthy future....

"if" you truly want it....

DOF................. 8 MONTHS off the "Turkey Farm"! 

marciem

Desiree... don't worry.  Eventually the smell of smoke as a trigger goes away.

When I first quit, and I mean even the first two years, I found the smell of a freshly lit cigarette appealing.  Not so much a trigger after the first few weeks/months, but "appealing".   But esp. in the first weeks, I might even follow a smoker or stand near them and take deep breaths in their wake to try and catch some smoke.  Don't laugh, it sounds stupid and certainly dangerous, but there ya go.

It goes away.  I can't say I find it disgusting now, but I will move away from the smell.  It bothers me.  I do have COPD so maybe that's why.  But it certainly isn't a trigger.

Remember this... every time you ignore a trigger (even such as this), the stronger your quit becomes and the weaker the trigger will be.

Not everyone agrees with me, but I say fear of relapse is a good thing.  The more you plan around triggers, the more in control you are, and the more you are aware that relapse is a possibility for EVERYONE (i.e. "fear") the less likely you are to allow it to happen to you.  You are the one in control, always.  Relapses don't "just happen", it takes 7 or more deliberate steps to smoke.

Best to you!!  Hang on to your quit and cherish and nurture it like a newborn child and it will grow up strong!

I don't necessarily like or dislike the smell of a lit cigarette.  I kind of just notice it is there.  On the other hand, smelling cigarettes on a smoker is horrid!! 

TW517

I agree with Kristen.  I actually enjoy the smell of cigarettes occasionally.  But it is never a trigger for me.  And even though I like the smell of smoke in the air, I can't stand it on people's clothes!

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

desiree465‌  I went to my 20 year reunion over the weekend and my role here on EX came up.  A classmate who organized the reunion admitted she had be quit for 5 years and mentioned that she was craving a cigarette Saturday night. She was drinking but I made her promise me she wouldn't I also told her that she could reach out to me any time she felt she was in danger of having one. So based on what I have read here and the people I know personally, it's a mixed bag. Some people say, yes it still smells good and others say that it is disgusting now. Everyone's different. I never smoked but my Uncle smoked a pipe all my life.  I always found his pipe tobacco appealing and it reminds me of  him when I smell one but I know it also was the cause of his pre-mature death. I hope it it doesn't appeal to you but being aware that it could and having a plan of what to do if it does is probably best. 

EX Community Admin Team
Lauralives

Desiree, Please don't be one of us that relapsed.  It is NO FUN and many people will smoke for a long time and it is HORRIBLE.  Yes, it happens to SOME of us but read everything you can get your hands on and realize protecting your quit is your #1  priority.  

To some cigarette smoke smells good but remind yourself that it smells like starting all over again to me.  I actually dislike it and am annoyed when I am outside and people smoke.  I feel sorry for those who still smoke as it is a death sentence.  Being afraid of a relapse isn't a bad thing.  I didn't see how long it was that you've been quit.  Yes, I did relapse after 491 quit but many people who stay on this site everyday and support others DON"T relapse.  I slipped up by losing sight of this fact and drifted away from the EX group.  It is as important to give support as receive it.  Good Luck!!  Laura  Today is Day 1--Day WON!!

Barbscloud

I think it's normal to worrying about relapsing especially early in our quits.  The fact that we all know people and there are individuals on this site that have relapsed, can be discouraging.   The important thing is that because of this site, I've learned I always have to stay vigilant no matter how long the quit is.   Burning cigarettes smell good to me, but the smell on people smells awful.  

223 DOF

Cigarette smoke shuts me down. I can't take it anymore. 37 years was enough.

Keep on keepin on,

M n @ Signature 002-4.jpg

Smoke free for 14 years, 3 weeks, 10 hours, 24 minutes and 31 seconds...32...33...34...35...