cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Kelly16

It's doing something....

I'm on day 10 of Chantix. I was starting to worry that maybe this drug wouldn't work for me as I was still smoking the same amount...up until yesterday. I smoke about 12-15 cigarettes a day, and without even realizing it I only smoked 5 yesterday. I smoke 3 before work, but today I only smoked 1/2 a cigarette. So it's definitely doing something. Only side effect I'm experiencing is a lower than usual heart rate for me, but I do not feel any different. If I didn't wear my iWatch and know what my normal HR is I wouldn't have noticed anything. 

My husband on the other hand had to get off of Chantix on Day 6. He was vomiting all day and was starting to get depressed. He's upset that the drug didn't work for him, and I'm upset to be doing this alone, but he will find another method and I am trying to stay the course with Chantix as it seems to be working so far. 

Thanks for listening....

0 Kudos
7 Replies
DavesTime

Kelly, I didn't use Chantix, but I am using Wellbutrin (bupropion, also known as Zyban).  Perhaps that may help your husband, too, since he had to get off the other.  I'm a fairly new quitter (on day 42), but I'd suggest you keep staying the course as you have.  This is YOUR quit: guard it like a precious treasure.  Do you have a quit date set?

Dave

Sandy-9-17-17

I started with Wellbutrin as well, and that was what helped me.....it made them taste awful when I smoked and when brushing my teeth, in 5 minutes of being done, I wanted to go brush again cause it would feel like I had this nasty stale smoke taste still in my mouth!  Then I just stopped smoking, and stayed on it for a short time and Whalaaaaa!   Here I am 401 days later, still smoke free....I am glad that the chantix is working for you though!  I tried that once, many years ago, and had to adjust what I was talking, but it did work, until I gave up during a stressful moment.  Being here now though, has been a Godsend for me!  This place rocks with all the great tools and great people!  Keep on working it!

virgomama

I wasn't a Chantix user but I am a recently quit smoker.  I want to encourage you to keep on your quit plan even if your partner can't or isn't.  My partner is still a smoker.  I'm making it work for me.  Keep on this for yourself.  Make this your quit.  Stick to your plan.  There is something out there for your husband as well.  This site has a wealth of support and information both of you stick close and take advantage of it.  It is so worth it.

JACKIE1-25-15

If I have not already welcomed you to EX.... Welcome.  pastedImage_1.jpg

Congratulations on the decision to quit smoking.  Quitting smoking takes a lot of work.  You have the aid of Chantix to assist you.  Please please be mindful that it is not a cure-all.  Only an aide.  There is still work and education to do and learn to continue on the journey once the nicotine is out of your system.  The behavior of the hand to mouth has to be changed.  The mind has to be changed.  You have to believe that you do not need to smoke.  Quitting is doable, so many of us have but it took the change of our minds to get there. Please take time to read the suggested material so you will be more informed when you stop smoking.  You have Chantix, what else will you be putting in your toolkit? pastedImage_2.png

elvan

I had been on Wellbutrin for years prior to quitting and I never noticed any change in my smoking but I was put on it to help with pain and the changes in the brain that happen from chronic pain so I am not sure if I would have had a different reaction had it been prescribed for smoking cessation.  My son had to stop Chantix a few years ago when he tried it to quit, he did not have any physical response, but he had some disturbing psychological changes.  He has now been quit for just under three months and this time, he used Wellbutrin but he stopped taking it earlier than it was written for because he said he just did not want to be on it.  He's smoke free so that's what matters to me.  Maybe your husband could tolerate that...

YOU are doing great, keep owning your quit.

Ellen

Sandy-9-17-17

That is how I felt about it too, I just didn't want to be on it for a long period of time!  

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

Kelly, welcome to the Ex and congrats on being in the Double Digit Club already.  I got sick on Chantix also, but used Webutrin this time.

0 Kudos