cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Steverichey

morning traffic jams?

I know I'm projecting but my routine of smoking on my commute concerns me.

16 Replies
YoungAtHeart

If you can, take different routes to and from work so the scenery is different.  Take a cold bottle of water and gum or mints.  Play some tunes and sing out loud.  Count the red/blue cars you see or the number of lights you hit or miss.  Listen to a book on tape.  Make up a story about folks in the other  cars.

Keep your mind occupied and remember - you don't smoke anymore!

You CAN do this....remember it does get easier.

you can get one of those squeeze balls and drive with one hand.

I worked all over LA. I knew all streets and side roads or cut through bad areas and got back on after I had passed them. it was faster for me in the long run but I was a smoker then and driving was when I smoked the most other than at work.

your hours are probably later being an inspector..

Steverichey

Going to try water instead of coffee and your straw trick I think. I start earlier than most contractors but in the office. Currently have 5 projects going full steam.

0 Kudos

I used to get materials and be on my jobsites by 7am. 

0 Kudos
Giulia

"Currently have 5 projects going full steam."  Is that an excuse to fail?  NOPE!

Steverichey

Nope just a comment on starting early. Those are going to be there despite me and a cigar

0 Kudos
Giulia

OK, so you're aware of the trigger.  That's the first step.  Then you have to figure out how your going to change your mindset AND the commute routine.  I used the straw too.  And there's always tea or hot chocolate instead of coffee.  Singing to the radio.  Deep breaths really do help.  So do silent chants.  Like...

I May Want.png

Create your own.  You have to think out of the box on this journey.  Be creative.  Have some fun in the process.  The journey is what WE make it.  So make it good for yourself.  And when you catch yourself romancing that cigar, RE-FOCUS FAST!

Definitely take a different route.  I also had Twizzlers everywhere I went.

elvan

You can do this...it's only one step at a time...one drive, one job, one moment.  You can do this.

Ellen