cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

IrishRose

Today's the Day

I have been having problems with my computer locking up.  Reason:  in the darkness of night, Microsoft downloaded Windows 10 onto my perfectly good computer, which is not compatible with 10, without my permission.  Now, no one will admit to the screw-up.  Microsoft and I have been dealing with this problem all week; Dell told me my computer was old, and I needed a new one.  I am old.  Do I need to be replaced?  Dealing with these two companies all week long have driven me to the point of back-flashing to the days of old when I would handle all of my problems by running outside for breaks to smoke a cancer stick.  Realizing that smoking would not fix my computer, I fought on with Microsoft to reach a solution. 

The end result, I now have my Windows 7 Home Premium on a flash drive.  All the help has stopped short of the actual flash drive I have in my hands to reload Windows 7 back onto my computer.  When I switch back over and try to fix the problem, I will be taking the chance of losing everything stored on my computer.  I did back-up my files with an external hard drive, but I have no idea what is going to happen.  What will work and what will not.  I do not even know what I am doing, because I might mention that I am computer illiterate, but I refuse to pay anyone to "fix" a problem that I did not create, nor do I care to purchase another computer.

So, what do ya all think?  Any advice would be strongly considered, and if you do not hear from me again after 3:00 p.m., this afternoon, you can safely assume that I blew up my only computer.  < sigh >

I will not smoke; I will not smoke; I will not smoke no matter what happens, even though that is how I handled difficult situations in my past life when I was cornered, frustrated and thought that cancer sticks were ok to smoke.  I can safely say that smoking only makes your blood pressure rise, makes you want to have another cancer stick, makes you stink like the bottom of an ash tray, rots your teeth, is a waste of good money, and most important, KILLS people.  Those are just a few reasons for quitting or protecting your quit if you want it to be your forever quit. 

Irish Rose    

0 Kudos
18 Replies

can't you get into safe mode on bootup and save your stuff to a flash drive and then do the reset?

or make a mirror image to a flash drive if the software is already on your computer.

Let us know what happens, if you can. 

0 Kudos
IrishRose

Safe mode?  What is that?   hahahaha  See what I am talking about when I say I am computer illiterate.   

I paid $50 for the this little box, the size of a cell phone that is called "My Passport".  It is like a flash drive, but they call it an external drive.  It works like a flash, but has a cord with a USB instead of having a USB plug attached like a flash drive has.   I am familiar with the term Gigabits, but this thing holds 1 TB.    My neighbor downloaded the stuff to it for me, but he stopped short of doing anything else.  Everyone, I fear, knows something I do not know, something bad.  This guy with Microsoft, via talking to me on the phone,  helped me to download Windows 7 Home Premium (what I had before this mess) onto that flash drive that I have.  Then he told me to call Dell for assistance on rebooting from a USB.  Well, I called Dell, and after the MANAGER quickly gave me directions in protest on how to reboot, because he wanted me to pay $129 for a tech to tell me the same thing,  he HUNG UP ON ME. 

When I purchased the computer nine years ago, it was already preloaded with Windows 7.  I figured that out when I read this sheet I printed off before I bought the computer at Best Buy.  I still had the sheet with all the specs on it.

Videos lock up smack in the middle of viewing them and my mouse freezes up and will not move.  Mind you, this computer worked absolutely beautiful, was fast, and I had NO problems, non, before they downloaded 10.  Someone with Microsoft finally admitted that my Dell Inspiron 545s was not compatible with Windows 10.  All this happened without my permission and in the darkness of night.  GRRRRRR!    

0 Kudos

I know when you try to install an operating system from a USB drive, the only thing that should be on the flash drive is the OS. Is the win7 os on it's own usb drive? 

0 Kudos
IrishRose

I just replied to this, and it disappeared.  Hmmmmm.  Wonder what happened there.  Now I have to retype it again.

Anyway, I found an 8 GB flash drive fresh and sealed, never used, in my desk drawer.  That is what the Microsoft guy said I needed.  I could only find two other flash drives, but they were only 1 GB and 2 GB.  I was so happy when I found the 8 GB one in the desk.  My daughter had given it to me a good while back, but I never opened up the package.  When the Microsoft guy called me back, he said "Great, plug it into the computer."  He downloaded Windows 7 onto it.  There is nothing else on this flash except the OS now.  He had to get approval from engineers and managers, and I had to give him this real long number off my computer, so they could duplicate what I had.

0 Kudos

I have a windows 10 pc with 64GB of memory built in that I can plug into any newer TV or monitor.

It's 1/2 the size of a pack of 100's. It does need to be powered however as there is no battery

$130. You can get a wireless keyboard mouse combo for $30. and Bob's your uncle

0 Kudos
IrishRose

I am wondering if I should get a new one and keep this one unplugged from the Internet so that Microsoft cannot screw with it anymore in the darkness of night.  I have only used 1/10 of the space this thing has.  Lots of photos on it too. 

0 Kudos

Well since it doesn't work with Windows 10, you'll never use it again if you don't reload windows 7.

0 Kudos

this is what I bought. They're up to $170 now but well worth it. 

PC Stick.jpg

0 Kudos
IrishRose

And, that's what you plug your mouse, keypad and monitor screen into?

0 Kudos