cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Gwenivere

Going Slowly Insane

I’ve been doing a gradual quit as posted in other conversations.  I’ve reached a point that I feel an almost never ending crave so am psyching myself up for the patch with lozenges as back up.  This withdrawal has highjacked my thinking, it’s all that is ever on my mind.  I’m forcing myself not to goggle ever little sensation to see if it is normal.  I don’t want to do anything but go to sleep and escape.  It’s even made my meds for the panic disorder less effective so it’s hard to go places I always did in comfort as it has me on edge constantly.  I’m always restless and time just drags by.   I’m so tired of the sweating feeling, tremors, irritability (almost outright anger) and head rushes.  Can’t concentrate well and no interest in anything.  I don’t know who this person is, but it’s not someone I’ve ever seen in myself.  

On the plus side I did find out my insurance will pay for nicotine replacements.  I’d been paying out of pocket and don’t have receipts for what I have bought so far.  Just have to message my doc for a formal letter to send in with stuff now.  Even tho I don’t even like the 3 cigs I have a day, it’s kinda frightening thinking they will be gone for good at this point.  I’m so tired of thinking of nicotine at all.  Maybe it’s a plus too that I can’t go back to smoking as I did because of the infection that has me on oxygen part of the day and overnight.  I just want to get to a place where nicotine just doesn’t matter anymore.  I hope I make it as this ongoing trip to there does make me feel I am losing my mind.  Or what’s left of it.  I could go hours without a smoke before because of laws, but I always knew eventually I could have that.  Time to wave bye bye to that.  

Sorry for the ramble, but it’s about all I am good for these days.  

23 Replies
Mommamich

I completely understand. I think your best help will come from one of the elders here however I can say I had the same feelings in the beginning. I hated not smoking and the side effects were horrible. I would like to say that if you give it time you will win. All we ever knew was wrapped around smoking but when you don't do that anymore you feel a bit off. I found that focusing on something else helped. I started doing hidden picture games on the computer as well as casual games on my phone. Stop and breathe and remind yourself that you don't do that anymore. It helps you to focus on something else. It truly does get better and stay close to the site. It will help you get through.

Gwenivere

Thanks Mommamich.  I’m into games too.  I grew up in Albuquerque.  So hi from a fellow New Mexican.  Beautiful state I very much miss here in Seattle.  It’s pretty here, but I miss the beauty of the desert and sunshine!   All the green and colors here come from rains from October thru May.  And sunshine?  Only a few months a year.  Last time I was in NM I thought the sun would blind me.  

Mommamich

If you ever get back "home" look me up. You can do this not smoking thing, stand tough hon.

Everything you feel is right on course. That's what it feels like to attempt to free yourself from Addiction! But you can make it - yes, even with the anxiety and panic attacks you describe. I know because I had all of that - depression, anxiety, panic attacks but I quit anyway 8 1/2 Years ago! And my mental illnesses have improved significantly! 

Make a decision and then ask yourself, work with your medical team, and change the question:

Not: to smoke or not?

Yes: since I choose not to smoke, what do I do about......... x,y,z?

indingrl

CONGRATS AND GOOD JOB VENTING AND STAYING FOCUS ON YOUR OWN PERSONAL NICOTINE FREEDOM GOALS! The serenity prayer HELPS ME - please take what HELPS and let go of the rest-thank you-it was SUGGESTED to ME to say over n over to HELP ME calm down n to breath n to WAIT for ALL OF ME-to re focus n then look at MY facts not feelings-so IF you CHOOSE- God grant me the serenity to accept the things i cannot change -courage to change the things i can- and the wisdom to know the difference-just sharing the love-your CHOICE-at whyquit.com is a FREE BOOK offered to read by Joel S-called-NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF EVER-also videos to watch-the ELDERS HERE SUGGESTED I GO THERE AND EDUCATE MYSELF ON MY DRUG USING NICOTINE AND COME OUT OF MY DENIAL ABOUT ME LIEING TO MYSELF-Bryons video saved ME!  Thanks for helping ME today to remember-NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF OVER ME!

marciem

Hi again, Gwenivere!

Everything you described in your original post sounds like me in the first weeks of withdrawal.

thinking of smoking/not smoking 24/7... check

irritable/crabby/moody... check

sleepy/sleepless... check

tired of all of the above and thinking I will always be that way and it is my new "normal"... check (big addict lie!)

You do at some point soon need to grab the brass ring and trust that it will get better, we ALL say it does, but it will only get better if you do not smoke.  I know, you don't want to think about that, you don't want to give up those few you smoke, but until you do, you won't start to heal.  You've had plenty of time for cutting back now.

Have you talked to your Pdoc about possibly adjusting your meds for the duration of your most "active" quit phase?  Your body reacts differently to medications when you are no longer smoking.  I don't think its just the nicotine, there are so my other substances you're inhaling with the cigarette smoke that can have affects on your  meds.  Anecdotally, as an example,  I need way way less caffeine to get my eyes open and motor running in the a.m.  .

I'm happy to hear that your insurance is going to help with your quit-aids!!  That's a step in the right direction for health care, they didn't used to.

Edit to add:  As I saw somewhere on this site, "If you're smoking while quitting, you're doing it wrong"  .  You are pretty much driving yourself slowly insane by putting yourself in more-or-less constant withdrawal, which would drive anybody over the edge, not to mention someone with anxiety issues to begin with.   

As before... take what helps and leave the rest.  I don't want to be harsh, but I'd like you to open your eyes a bit wider to the reality of addiction, and getting yourself beyond smoking to the better life ahead.

What do you think those three cigarettes a day are doing for you?

The nicotine receptors hit a wall at a certain point where they just won't accept any less than a bare minimum.

When you hit that point, you will be in constant withdrawal.

The question is, how much nicotine are you getting other than smoking?

Gwenivere

I’m getting 7mgs. from the lozenges as well.  Last night I dropped from a little over 3 to under 3 cigs. Woke up today nauseous and bad head rushes.  They, luckily, only hit when I am getting up or just laying there.  

I’ve been learning so much about addiction.  What I don’t really understand is why I could adapt to less cigs before it became necessary that I have to.  How could I go hours without one and not even think about it.  Guess it was because unconsciously I knew eventually I could.  

"How I could go hours without one and not even think about it?"

Maybe you are preparing without overthinking the preparation.

It should be encouraging as you realize you don't need to smoke as much.

That's what you want to build upon.

Now you have to stop clinging to 3 cigarettes.