cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

SoosannahK

Beware Those Tricky Triggers

Something I never considered was the sound of a Zippo being closed. I have 2, they're in a drawer and have been empty for years, needing new flints and long since dried up of fluid. They are special to me and not because they light up smokes. The sentimental value of them is not something I am ready to part with.  I couldn't light 2 twigs in a forest fire with these things so no danger of them ever lighting a cig. I don't have fluid or flints nor do I plan on buying any.

Last night I was watching a show, drifting off to sleep when I heard the click of a Zippo being closed and immediately wanted a cig. My daddy always used a Zippo when he smoked. He quit a few years before he got sick.  This time of year is always hard for me. I lost my dad to leukemia in 2006 just before my birthday and I always think about him a lot this time of year. So he has been on my mind. Thankfully I was too sleepy to pay the thought of wanting much mind. I just found it weird and funny all at the same time. The sound of a Zippo was something I would never have pegged for a trigger. Just further proof we always need to be on guard and prepared for those moments.

Susan

3 Replies
autumnpepper

When I was 11yrs old I got a Zippo for Christmas!  I know what kind of family gives their 11yr old a Zippo?  Well, that's a book I don't have the stomach to write. Anyway, it was one of the smaller ones had my name ingraved on it.  

When I read your post I could hear that sound in my head.  It's not going to be easy to quit I've smoked most of my life.  But I'm getting ready for my quit date October 18th.  Right now I am honestly looking forward to it. If I run out of smokes before then, thats it!  I'm not buying any more.!  I'm done! 

SoosannahK

That is messed up and slightly hilarious all at the same time. I am still scratching my head on who in the world thought a lighter was a good gift for an 11 year old?????

Good luck on your journey. I found this time with this quit I did not dread my quit date but looked forward in excited anticipation. The first weeks had a few rough spots, but it really hasn't been that bad. It is just learning how to ride those crave waves until they pass. They get fewer and fewer with the passage of time.

Susan

elvan

I could not say the word cigarette...how weird is that?  It triggered me in a horrible way...so did coupons.  I gave away 8 packs of cigarettes that were in a carton, unopened and a stack of coupons you would not believe....I had about half an open pack and THOSE, I soaked in water and tore into pieces, I found it pretty cathartic.   The sound of a Zippo is unmistakable, I had one that my college roommate gave me for Christmas years and years ago.

Triggers lose their power over us as we replace smoking with other things...WE get stronger as the addiction weakens.

So sorry that your father died close to your birthday, I was 30 when I lost mine and it was 6 days before my birthday...couldn't say Dad without crying for over a year.  

Ellen