cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Gwenivere

Intense dizziness

Does anyone get head rushes?  I seem to be getting them for a few days when I wake up.  I don’t know how to really explain the feeling except kind of dizzy and really lightheaded.  Almost like I’m going to pass out.  Luckily they happen when I am still laying down, but once I was making the bed and it was really intense and scary.  They pass pretty fast, but I’ve never felt anything like it.

0 Kudos
17 Replies
Bree19

Hi Gwenivere

I have these as well.

The head rushes when I'm still lying down are quickly over and, because I'm lying down, not so scary.  I've had them on and off for the past 5 years or so.

The intense dizziness when I'm up and about comes from a condition both my mom and granny also had called Méniére’s syndrome…not sure about the spelling.  It is caused by a disturbance of the fluid in my inner ear.  Totally different feeling and my balance is way off - being upright is not really an option.  I would be aiming for the doorway and walk straight into the wall.  I was diagnosed many, many years ago and the only thing that helps is to take something for motion sickness and limit salt intake.   But honestly, one tablet and an hour or two lying down is all it takes.  I have episodes of this blasted syndrome about (maybe) twice a year.  I’ve just always been concerned about it happening while driving, but so far luckily, it has only happened when I’m home.

It can’t be cured but is not going to kill me either. I’ve been told I can expect a bit of hearing loss eventually.  Oh and it also causes tinnitus (irritating) but I’m used to it now.

And after all that information, best you research – Maybe the Mayo Clinic site?

Blessings

Bree

0 Kudos
Mandolinrain

This blog of YoungAtHeart may help you....

Early Withdrawal Symptoms

Blog Post created by Youngatheart.7.4.12 on Jan 4, 2018

I copied this in the early days of my quit and thought it might be helpful to the newbies on the site.  The document was noted as written by Nancy Smith.

Nicotine's chemical properties are addictive. If you take that nicotine away from your body, it will miss it and you will experience physical and mental withdrawal symptoms.

These symptoms surface after three-five days of quitting smoking and linger for approximately two weeks. We list out some of these symptoms to help you prepare for these side-effects to smoking cessation. Rest assured that these symptoms, while some are unpleasant, will only be transitory and once you're rid of them, will leave you feeling much better after quitting smoking.

Emotional withdrawal
Depression: You may feel low, sad and hopeless. Hence,  it is important to surround yourself with people, preferably non smokers and friends who support your decision to quit smoking.
Anger: Emotional upheaval can make you angry. Others may not be aware of it, but you know what's happening to your body. The age-old remedy of counting to10 isn't such a bad idea. Stop, think, regain your calm and composure before losing your cool.
Boredom: You may have noticed that when you were bored, tired or depressed you tend to smoke. Now that you are on your way to a smoke free life replace these voids with hobbies or get involved with people around you. Pay more attention to your loved ones.
Loneliness: Withdrawal of smoking can make you feel lonely, impatient and irritable. If your friends are busy, take up a dance class or cooking class. It is important to expect these feelings of loneliness, so stay prepared.
Mood swing: Tempers will flare and tantrums will increase. These are not exactly PMS symptoms. Nicotine was once your evil friend but now you have to bear with the loss of the addiction. This will throw your emotional reactions to daily happenings into a tizzy. Most quitters will need help with these mood swings. Replace the smoking placebo with something else. Invest in some great music and strong coffee, maybe?

Physical withdrawal
Nicotine obstructs the flow of oxygen and nutrients to various parts of the body. Now that you have quit smoking, your body has to hit the reverse button to detox.
Bowel discomfort: It's time to change your diet and fitness once you quit smoking. Quitting smoking can cause cramps nausea, flatulence and constipation, therefore it is important to increase roughage and exercise your body.
Nasal and throat problems: When you stop smoking, your nose and throat will try to clear the mucous that has accumulated over the years. You may experience coughing, dry throat and mouth. Fluids are the key to clearing this process.
Increase in appetite: Craving for cigarettes can be confused with hunger cravings. The best way to stay healthy is to consume fluids and low calorie snacks.

Headaches: Lack of nicotine can lead to headaches, the way out of it is with massages, plenty of water and rest. Gently massage your temple, drink water, take a hot shower and take a deep breath.

Lack of sleep: You may experience insomnia after you quit smoking. Take a hot shower before you hit the sack, do breathing exercises too and most importantly avoid caffeine close to bed-time

Restlessness/lack of concentration: You feel like there is energy bursting in you; transfer this energy into something constructive. In these situations smokes would calm your nerves, but now switch off that thought and cultivate a new habit. You may feel you can't concentrate too; try listening to music or take a break from your routine life.
Weight gain: Increase in craving can lead to weight gain, especially if you indulge in unhealthy food. But don't be dejected, you can cut it out with exercise and the right diet.

Sweating and shaky hands and feet: You will feel that your hands and feet tremble. It is a passing phase that will stop. If you experience these withdrawals you know your body is simply shedding an addiction and leading you to a much healthier life.
Skin trouble: While quitting smoking is associated with healthier skin, the period of withdrawal will cause some skin trouble. Some people with sensitive skin might break out into a fresh acne case or suffer from some ulcers in the inner-cheeks, tongue and mouth. The reason is simply that your body is letting go of the toxins and leveling up.

Instead of losing motivation after reading these withdrawal symptoms, the one thought any quitter must focus on is this: The fact that your body is changing so much when quitting, simply showcases how much it is continuously changed and affected while you still smoke. Avoid poor health and dangerous diseases - stay quit!

Nancy

TW517

I had the same symptoms early in my quit, and have seen many others here post about it.  Seems to be fairly common.  If you do a search for “dizziness” or “lightheaded” (click the image of a magnifying glass in the top right of your screen) you will find lots of posts on the subject.  But fair warning, you’ll find as many different explanations as there are posts on the subject.

In my case, my doc told me it was a natural blood pressure drop from lack of nicotine in my system.  That made sense to me at the time, but I still have the symptoms (and lower BP) a year and a half later.  Although not nearly as bad as those early days.

GyorgyiM

Absolutely!

I was in such a "brain fog" and had "dizzy spells" it was like a split personality.I don't know who was driving,how I got there, who did my work load and how I got home! LoL....... although  I did educate myself intensely after I stopped smoking so I knew what to expect.

I also knew that it would pass...............

Now my feet are planted firmly on the ground and my multiple "withdrawal" personality has joined me in this wonderful, healthy and happy freedom of life. 

Soooooooooooooo much to look forward to my friend......Keep it up!

Miles of Smiles..

minihorses

Yep. It's vertigo and is usually caused by crystals that are supposed to be in your ears get out of whack and get into the fluid of the ear.  I always get it while standing up though so the floor or hanging on to whatever flat surface I can find even if it's just a wall is my only option. The floor and I are on a first name basis! There are head movements you can use both laying down or while standing up that get the crystals back where they're supposed to be.  I have massive tinnitus that has led to a lot of lost hearing and drives me nuts because it sounds like a forest full of locusts and grasshoppers.  

If the episodes are more frequent definitely go to the Dr and they will probably send you to an ear, nose and throat doctor.  Take care.

Julie

Pops

Hi, I'm Pops & I have had some experience in this area as well.  Much like Bree19‌ mentioned...my experience was from my inner ear.  The condition that was explained to me from my GP, was called rocks in my ears.  It comes from a cold, or allergy, or some other type of ailment.  The treatment for it was a series of stretching in different directions, and holding my head into some different positions for a slight extended period of time.  Sure enough, after about two weeks of stretching as directed....the condition completely healed itself without any medication.  That was my experience anyway....

Pops w/18 DOF!

Gwenivere

This dizziness started since I cut down on the cigarettes.  It’s not an infection.   I often have same thing happen as Gyorgy and Tom.  I’ll be.aware I am driving but often don’t recall how I got somewhere.   Had some close calls too and that makes me hyperviligent now.   It’s almost as bad as texting when driving!   I’m so easily distracted looking for a mint that could wait.  How crazy that would be to have cause of accident....nicotine crazed woman!

0 Kudos
elvan

Try deep breaths...seriously, inhale deeply and HOLD and then exhale very slowly through pursed lips.  I also bought bubble juice recommended by my respiratory therapist who said you can't blow bubbles if you don't control your breathing.  It's kind of fun.  Are you on oxygen?  The fact that this occurs when you are still in bed is intriguing.  I would mention that to your doctor.

Best,

Ellen

0 Kudos
Gwenivere

Thanks, Ellen.  Seeing her tomorrow about it.  It’s weird it just happens in the morning.  I’m not going to complain about that.  Better than all day.  I am on oxygen when needed and definitely overnight.