cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

c2008coolio

Suggestions for curbing cigarettes during transitions?

Through tracking my cigarettes throughout the day I realized that the majority of them are at transition times. Whenever I stop one task and start another I go outside and smoke one. My question is, what can I do, instead of smoking, during transitions. I have thought of some basic ones such as suck on a sucker, eat a hard candy, drink a bottle of water or something like that. I have tried those and haven't felt them very affective. Any other suggestions or does anyone else have experience with this? I need something that would last 3-5 minutes but that would not be super engaging as to not draw me in and I end up spending too much time one it, if that makes sense. Thanks so much!

19 Replies
virgomama

I find slow deep breathing helps for just sitting.  Also pay attention to your surroundings.  If you're outside look at trees, architecture,etc.  In other words rest, but focus on the details around you as you're resting.  It resets your mind. I've found some great exercises for doing just this on this site.  If I can find them I'll get them your way. 

Thank you for posting this.  I'm sitting here late at night, at rest so to speak asking myself what I'm going to do for my midnight craves because I'm not doing anything at night to distract them.  So I decided to just get up and get on this site just to keep me from smoking.  You asking this question helped me to focus and think about things I can do at night for my craves, 

Good work tracking your smoking habits.  Your homework now will really pay off when you quit.  Mine has.  I'm 3 days quit.  Following the plan I set for myself has already saved my quit several times.  Just asking the question What should I do instead helps give your brain another direction to think away from it's addiction pattern.

Good luck!!  Keep studying.  Keep asking. 

Cindy

virgomama

Found it.  Go to the Best of Ex blogs and look at Craving Buster Technique.  It's a really good one.

kimberlyH

Ok, great. Thanks so much for the tips and I'll be sure to check it out. Also massive congratulations! That's a huge accomplishment and i can't wait till i have even one day. Also good reminder...i hadn't thought about my night smokes...definitely must factor those in.

YoungAtHeart

If you can, how about a quick (maybe around the outside of the building you are in) walk?  Get those arms swinging, and feel the breath going deeply in and out as you go.  Should give you a hit of dopamine, as well.  If you are near a computer, a quick game of Solitaire might work.  Can you get a crossword puzzle book for the night wake-ups?  You can ALWAYS come here and read.  That helps keep you focused on your quit.  You might also make a list of your reasons to quit and review it during transition  or wake up times.  During the night when you awaken, maybe make a list of things that day for which you were grateful,.

Nancy

c2008coolio

I really like the quick walk idea, and I like all the others...I hadn't thought of crossword puzzles, I really enjoy doing those. Thanks so much! that was helpful!

JACKIE1-25-15

Whatever door you are accustomed to exiting to go out and smoke use another door.  Now take a deep breath, look at the sky, make pictures from the clouds. See if there are any birds flying around. Listen to nature. What do you hear, what do you see? Make a mental list.  Think about how good it feels to have fresh air on your face and not a stinking cigarette and smoke entering your throat and lungs.  Think how much healthier that is and enjoy the moment or moments.  Breathe and enjoy the freedom, one moment at a time.  

elvan

If you can go outside...get some bubble juice and blow bubbles, it's a happy distraction.  My respiratory therapist suggested it because it requires controlled breathing to exhale slowly and make bubbles!

jconfusion

I usually breath in blue and breath out black breathing in the blue is thr healing cleaning and breathing out the black is all the pain and sickness.

c2008coolio

Great idea! thanks! I haven't done bubbles in ages lol