cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

virgomama

HELP!!

Midnight crave!!!!  Got out of bed craving to smoke.  Partner had left a half smoked cig in the bathroom.  I was torn between smoking it, washing it down the drain.  Threw it on the nightstand as it was his.  Thinking I should have stuck the damn thing under water.  Still want to get it and smoke it.  What to do for midnight craves?

19 Replies
virgomama

Breathed myself through it and am just going to answer my own blog.  So this is one trigger I don't have any answer for.  What do you do for midnight craves?  I take my patch off at night, maybe shouldn't have done it,but I've been doing fine and it makes me feel weird at night.  NOPE NOPE NOPE.  Use herbal sleep aids,nothing worked tonight.  Think I'll make some chamomile tea.

desiree465

Wow good for you, way to stay strong! Tell that partner of yours they need to take the smoking outside. You are trying to beat an addiction and it's going to be soooo much harder to do when you can see, smell, touch and taste the cigarettes. I'm sure they will help you out if you explain it to them.  Plus you're working so hard and one of the rewards for that is having a clean smelling house, car, clothes ect. Don't deprive yourself of that because you deserve that:). Could you maybe get one of those inhalers for the night time craves? I have no idea if you can do both things but maybe it's something to look into. I'm really proud of you for coming on the site and writing about a craving instead of giving in, I think you're going to beat this. 

Christophina

Wow! Well done for getting through that one AND answering your own blog and question. You breathed yourself through it....probably the absolute best thing you can do. I’d say forget the patch at night. 

Sleep will return to normal when the nicotine tickle stops.

TW517

I'm so sorry none of us were there for you last night!  My worst craves were in the middle of the night.  I never understood this, because I had never smoked before if I woke up at night.  So there was no memory trigger going on.  Just my brain screaming for nicotine I guess.  During the day, I always took a walk, or moved around however I could at the time to get through a crave.  Couldn't do that at night without disturbing the family, so I did what you did and breathed through them.  Wish I could offer you more than empathy, but glad you made it through .

SaraCorinne

I think the strongest kind of quitter is the one that quits when their partners still smoke.  I mean, craving is bad enough all on it's own but add a half cigarette, staring you in the face, in the middle of the night, when you're all alone.....  You did GREAT getting through that crave!  I feel if you can get through a crave like THAT, you can get through ALL of them!  Stay strong!  PS:  I love that you answered your own blog too!  Hang in there girl, you got this!  

SoosannahK

I cannot imagine trying to quit with a smoking partner. That shows how strong you are right there. Thankful my husband only "dips" and it is beyond nasty.  I can tell you from previous experience that sleeping with the patch can give you some really whack dreams.

If you are having insomnia, I can tell you it DOES GET BETTER! My first month was the worst for insomnia but now it is only intermittent, but I have always had trouble sleeping at night so that might be some of me not the quit now. 

So proud of you!!

Susan

GyorgyiM

Creative visualization............

Deep breathing (like your smoking, but NOT)

Stay in the "Moment" and distract your thoughts with something pleasant....

Like how each and every second your health is improving,

Your sense of happiness will increase day by day...

Your outlook on life will/is more positive...

DO NOT dwell on the old memories of smoking.....Why would you want to torture yourself?

..........the "Power" is within you.................I feel it.

IrishRose

You need to ban smoking indoors.  Your partner should go outside and smoke.  I would put my foot down with that one.  Your quit is yours, and you should not have to be breathing in that stink a#% air and smell.  Just saying. 

no sm.jpg

Irish Rose 

indingrl

YOU DID IT-CONGRATS LOVING YOU AND CHOOSING YOUR OWN LIFE NICOTINE FREE-TO THINE OWN SELF BE TRUE-GOOD JOB!