cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Ralph1955

Save Your Teeth

As happy as I was to get rid of my painful front teeth and begin the process of having a permanent bridge put in, I’m sorry I didn’t take better care of my teeth over the years. Unfortunately money was a factor for me but as I am getting used to my temporary bridge I realize now that I should have made my mouth a priority. Smoking was a major factor in destroying my gums and that makes me feel sad that I have waited so long to quit this Vile habit. To those of you who still have all your teeth do Whatever it takes to keep them. Ain’t nothing like the real thing my friends.  

Tags (1)
56 Replies
alysonoholic

Very true, Ralph. My dentists have been very clear about the damage that smoking does to my teeth and gums and had I kept my quit 5 years ago it's possible I may not have lost mine...Definitely something to think very hard about in the decision to quit.

YoungAtHeart

If you were like me, Ralph, the medical profession was so determined that we quit that they blamed everything that was wrong with us on smoking!  Indigestion?  Smoking!  Gums receding?  Smoking!  Hangnail?  Smoking!  Broken bone in your foot?  Smoking!  Diarrhea?  Smoking!  The flu?  SMOKING!

It got to the point that I discounted EVERYTHING they told me!  Don't be so hard on yourself - perhaps you did the same thing as I did! 

I am dreading my dentures ---- I thought I was doing the right thing when I had all of mine capped and spent ALL the money, only to have the underlying teeth fail and the caps fail to hold.  It probably WAS caused by smoking ---- but you won't EVER hear that admission from ME!!!

Hang in there - I am sure the discomfort will lessen as the healing takes place.  In the meantime, get a chocolate milkshake.  It not only tastes good, but it numbs the painful area for awhile!

Hang in there!  Don't cry over spilled milk (or painful dentistry!)

desiree465

If money or lack of insurance is an issue for anyone remember your local dental hygiene schools/programs will do cleanings and xrays for a minimal cost somewhere between 2 and 10 dollars. They can't take care of restoration work but they most likely will be able to point you in the direction of affordable care at a school for dentists. Just something to think about. 

Deerbake

That's a good idea to pass along to those in need of help with funding.

0 Kudos
Daniela2016

You are absolutely correct, our own teeth are the best, and I would do anything to get back what I lost through the years.  Whenever money was tight, the teeth came in last; big mistake.

I had to try a partial on my lower right jaw, paid nearly @500 for it, just to not be able to wear it.  It never fixed in place properly, it made me gag with every breath, and about 15 years ago, I had 2 dental implants put in (they cost a fortune), but they still hold strong.

Feel better, and hold on to your quit, it will help improve the overall health of your mouth!

elvan

Agree, wish I had taken better care of my teeth AND my lungs.

jconfusion

lol I have chronic dry mouth and I had all my teeth pulled,because I spent a whole year getting cavities filled and I was brushing my teeth in the morning and before I went to bed. and I was flossing my teeth 2 times a day and got special mouth wash.  that was supposed to make my mouth have moisture.  but it didn't work. and I was in constant pain and my fillings where falling out and my back molar  broke off  and I would have felt  pain but I didn't, I just told them to rip out all my teeth, and just give me dentures.  its becaue of all the meds im on now.   I wont stat the whole I shoulda taken better care of myself.  I am doing that now.  I hate when people get stuck on coulda shoulda wouldas, you cant change the past but you can chose to change yourself now to get a better future.  

Ralph1955

You’re right but if I could go back I’d definitely do things differently. Can’t cry over spilled milk though.

0 Kudos
jconfusion

itll just drive ya crazy.  and we have bigger mountains to move right now

0 Kudos