cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Stormkelley

Just put my first pach on @ 9:40a.m. after doing morning thing, but no cigarettes

Alot of my morning routine is walking down to my old house, were a German Rottweiler named Mukkwa, that means Little Bear. Co ownes me, and my husband to be(Eric). Little Bear was born on 12/31/06. He is not doing so well, his back legs are giving out.(he was my E.S.A until 2009 when they considered rottweilers a band breed) also at the house there is Foxy Lady, she is a American Rottweiler mix. She found her forever home with us in 2005. She was dropped off at our front door as a puppy in very bad shape. Rock is a Male tabby cat, he was found in a portable toilet, n winter with his eyes still shut. I now live in appartment with a my new E.S.A. his name is Toto Oz. He is a maltipoo, my older sister breeds them.

8 Replies
JACKIE1-25-15

Good morning. Toto OZ is cute. Congratulations on the start of day one.  NOPE not one puff ever will make it a day WON.  Stay close.  We are here to support you.  Come here first when you are having challenges.  Ask questions someone will help. 

Hey there

Cute puppy.

Good for you for quitting.

I used the patch. I think it helped me my first 2 weeks.

that was almost 12 years ago.

Let us know your past quitting experience so we know how to help you.

Onward and Upward!

Stormkelley

Thank you Jackie1-25-15. One question how do you change your profile photo? I have a cell phone only, I just can't seem to figure it out. 

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

Congratulations on our decision to quit smoking.  Tonight you can celebrate Day WON!!!

That is quite a menagerie you have going on there.  Our fur babies are the BEST!

The most important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. You can search for it  or at your local library. Here's a link to a video here on the site which describes nicotine addiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be.

You should also read the posts here and perhaps go to the pages of folks who you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com, quitsmoking.com and livewell.com for the good information contained there. @https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex has lots of blogs written by members of this site with their experiences and guidance.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from when you smoked. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different. Buy your gas at a different station. Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you from which to sip. Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:
 https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

Stormkelley

Youngathear, I know what it can do to you body and brain. I have my L.p.n. E.m.t. and R.N. license. I know about changing your routine, kind of like throwing things off balance so your brains not on the same schedule. The one issue that I have a problem with as I have no one to lean on for support, accept my canine Toto Oz

0 Kudos
indingrl

WELCOME-GOOD JOB CHOOSING YOUR OWN PERSONAL NON SMOKER FREEDOM! YAHOO!

Stormkelley

Indingrl, thank you

0 Kudos
Daniela2016

Welcome and congrats on your first day!  We are all dog/cat owners, lovers here, so you are in the right place.

Not only for that but for support along your quit journey!

IDV.jpg

These are Nucka (13) and Nello (11), and we recently lost our 2 sister cats (they were 19).

0 Kudos