cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

SandyV

Quitting and COPD

If anyone has been diagnosed with COPD and has already quit,  can you tell me how long it took to notice a difference in breathing and oxygen levels?

thanks

Sandy

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
12 Replies
virgomama

Hi Sandy,

I can't answer your question, but I do hope there is someone out there who can answer it.  I'm curious too

YoungAtHeart

From what I have read here, quitting smoking is not the ONLY thing you can do for COPD.  Have you had a spirometry test?  Spoken to a cardiologist?  If not, they should be on your list. There are breathing exercises to be done, and medications that help long term.   I don't have personal experience - just know that NOT quitting will make your COPD so much worse.  If you want to see what has been written here, search "COPD" in the upper right hand corner with the magnifying glass.

I hope you have joined us to quit smoking.  It is one of the best things you can do for yourself!

Nancy

JACKIE1-25-15

I am not an authority on COPD but some here have researched and studied the subject. Here is a blog on COPD. https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/copd/blog/2013/11/02/myths-and-facts-about-copd  There are quitters who deal with it on a daily basis.  If this blog does not help I suggest that you review more of Thomas3.20.2010‌ pages. 

Barbara145

It is individual.  For most you will begin seeing a difference as soon as you quit smoking.

indingrl

WELCOME - please go to BLOGS by Thomas 3.20.2010 -thank you. 

SandyV

Thanks everybody for your responses.  I am all too familiar with the affects and damage from COPD,  but I have been told that the lungs can heal based on the severity.  I have had all the tests and drugs, Dr’s etc.  I am hoping and praying there will be improvement and some level of healing. 

SandyV

SAUC373

Hi      I have COPD and was hospitalized last month bc of it. I was in respiratory distress. I must tell you that it’s different with everyone. For me it was about a week and my blood pressure was normal and so was my oxygen. I felt great! My doctor added Spiriva Respimat to my daily routine. Says it works great with the Symbicort, (that I’m already on), to regulate breathing. Also loosing weight or watching your weight and changing your diet, believe it or not helps too! Any thing else I can help with, plz feel free to ask. Oh btw, if you haven’t taken a spirometry test, plz do schedule one. The results may be motivation enough to quit! They was for me! I advise one every year. 

SandyV

Thank you for your feedback!  I am on Spiriva already and have taken the spirometer test!  Not fun!!  Quitting Smoking is the last step in trying stop the damage so I can let go of the anxiety about!

SAUC373

Quitting is the best and only solution! Trust me, the anxiety is real but that’s when you need to do breathing exercises and or whatever calms you. Blow pops work for me lol