cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Potato Salad

What triggers your best memory of potato salad?

I figured out mine when I made it this morning. the deviled egg taste

Here's this morning's recipe

5 med red potatoes cut bite size and cooked to tender (not falling apart)

4 hard boiled eggs

8 small sweet pickles cut in small pieces (not minced)

1 cup mayonnaise

Salt and pepper

6 T pickle juice

3 T yellow mustard

make sure everything is cooled to room temperature or lower before tossing.

chill for 2-3 hours

PS I nuked everything-Boiled eggs> 10 minutes covered with water and lots of salt and they don't crack while cooking.

Potatoes 20 minutes submerged in water at half power

I've also used less mayonnaise by substituting Italian dressing for half the mayonnaise and eliminating the mustard and pickle juice.

What is your favorite recipe?

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
7 Replies
MarilynH

Hummmmm I'll have to try nuking the potatoes and eggs I've never tried that other than I use onions instead of minced pickles, I do use a little mustard but no pickle juice our recipes are similar now I'm hungry.   I'm editing this to add when I think of potato salad I think of family and barbecues and salads and coleslaw .

0 Kudos
Barbara145

My memories of potato salad are picnic's with my grandma and grandpa and lots of family in Ravenswood, West Virginia.  My grandmother and mother were wonderful cooks.  I am not so bad myself.  I use pickles and onions and celery and celery seed along with the potatoes, eggs and mayo. Talking about it is making me very hungry. 

Barbscloud

Sweet pickles have to go!   Would substitute grey poupon for yellow mustard and add onions.   Lot's of good summer memories accompany potato salad.  Makes me think of my husband, who was an excellent cook.

alysonoholic

I would use dill pickles instead of sweet but otherwise this recipe is pretty perfect.

Tamjy

I love potato salad.  It always brings up memories of summertime and cook grills.  I too, would use dill pickles and dill pickle juice.  Actually, I use "alot" of fresh or dried dill in my recipe. 

6-8 large potatoes (I'm not fussy on the type) boiled, peeled & chopped

8-10 hard boiled eggs, peeled & chopped

1 celery stalk finely chopped - for texture

Salt/Pepper/Mayo - to your pleasure

Fresh or dried dill weed - lots! (or to your taste)

Mix all ingredients

And my very special ingredient - a splash of lime juice!!  Don't tell others about this.  Keep it our secret. 

But truly, I heard about this several years ago and would not think of making potato salad without it again.The flavor really makes the salad pop!  Hope you like it

Now I know what to do with all the limes I bought for carne asada not realizing what I bought was already marinated.

I've used Italian salad dressing instead of mayo in potato salad a few times. You just don't want the potatoes mush like if you do this.

0 Kudos
Tamjy

I just looked up carne asada.  Sounds like a nice marinade.  Thanks for the new recipe !

0 Kudos