cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

Do you bend correctly?

Save your back by hip hinging.

Bending-motion.gif

"Bending at the hip takes the pressure off the back muscles," says Liza Shapiro, who studies primate locomotion at the University of Texas, Austin. "Instead, you engage your hamstring muscles."

And by "engage the hamstrings," she also means stretching them.

"Oh yes! In order to hip hinge properly, your hamstrings have to lengthen," Shapiro says. "If you have tight hamstrings, they prevent you from bending over easily in that way."

Tight hamstrings are extremely common in the U.S., Kennedy says. They may be one reason why hip hinging has faded from our culture: Stiff hamstrings are literally hamstringing our ability to bend properly.

But hip hinging isn't totally lost from our culture, Shapiro says. "I just saw a website on gardening that recommended it, and many yoga websites recommend bending at the hips, too."

And the hip hinging is sprinkled throughout sports. Weightlifters use it when they do what's called a deadlift. Baseball players use it when they bat. Tennis star Rafael Nadal does it when he sets up a forehand. And in football, players kneel at the line of scrimmage with beautiful hip hinging.

Toddlers younger than 3 years old are great hip hingers. They haven't learned yet from their parents to bend like a cashew.

Back Pain May Be The Result Of Bending Over At The Waist Instead Of The Hips : Shots - Health News :... 

3 Replies
Carol6

I probably don't. I always thought you have to squat and lift with your legs? At least that is what I was told. 

Carol
There is always someone who needs your attention on ex. Let's ensure everyone has someone supporting them.
0 Kudos
JustinHoot99

You are correct. But "squatting" to lift still involves bending at the hips, but tries to minimize the degree you bend at the hips in order to keep the back as close to vertical as possible.  It's used for picking up a heavy object and requires the object be close to you feet. It is the safest form of lifting, but when lifting something light, is not necessary to keep the back as vertical as possible.  As the amount of wt you are lifting increases, the less bend you want and the more vertical the back should be.  Most people can not even perform a true squat to pick up something very low, like a tennis ball, because they can not flex there knees and ankles deep enough to lower far enough to reach the floor.  The ability to do that shows a very good degree of flexibility if you are keeping the back close to vertical like you would during a weight lifting squat using a barbell.

0 Kudos
Carol6

Thanks I'll be more aware.  The leaves are falling so I know how that's going to cause a fit with my back.

Carol
There is always someone who needs your attention on ex. Let's ensure everyone has someone supporting them.
0 Kudos