cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

Bellegonia

Any advice on how to taper off Chantix?

I stopped taking it 3 days ago and ended up with a monster headache that I just could not get to go away, that was crippling. I took a Chantix pill this afternoon and an hour later the headache had subsided to a manageable throb. Any one have withdrawl from stopping? Thanks in advance.

Belle

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Sandy-9-17-17

Hey Belle .... I think I asked you in another post if you weened off !  You can't just stop suddenly you will def have troubles! I did chantix one time years ago!!! I warned off and had no trouble!

0 Kudos
Bellegonia

Thanks Sandy... you probably did ask me but I have lost some of the threads I was following so I appreciate you posting again

I know a headache doesn't seem like much but this is more like a migraine (and I don't get migraines) so the fact that it's lasting tells me it's definitely something. I have always had occasional sinus headaches with storm fronts, etc. and my doc told me it was actually the smoking that was irritating my sinuses. I had hoped with quitting that they were a thing of the past... I will definitely wean down on the chantix though just to be safe. The headache is back again now but not with the full force it had been. Fingers crossed!

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

Since we are all different and our bodies react differently it would be best to check with your doctor on how you should wean off of your medication.

Bellegonia

Thanks guys... after some research I think it's actually the KETO flu. It all makes sense now. Time for some electrolyte therapy! And I will actually wean off the Chantix  Who needs the added side effects if it can be avoided!?

Hugs!

Belle

minihorses

If you have any Chantix left I went down to 1 a day, then 1 every other day then done. It definitely helped. Good luck!

0 Kudos
Roller831

I stopped taking it after 2 weeks because the side effects were awful!  I am a coffee addict so if I got a headache, I would drink coffee (caffeine) to make the headache subside or take ibuprofen.  I never weaned off and just stopped.  Wish I could help you out better, but I found it better after I stopped because the side effects stopped.

Roller

0 Kudos
shashort

I am with you Roller I stopped Chantix 3 weeks into it as it made me very nauseous.  I agree with Jackie you should check with your doctor.

0 Kudos
elvan

Ask the pharmacist, in my experience, they are more in touch with side effects and ways to wean off medications.  I have no experience with it...the side effects that they warn about terrified me.  It sure sounds like the headache was related since it went away after you took it.

0 Kudos