cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Mandolinrain

DIET-CRON-OMAD-IF

I know Bellegonia‌ blogged on this recently and it got me to thinking.

I have watched so many many on this site struggle with the weight loss thing and the word DIET.  

I dislike the word diet and I choose 'lifestyle' because for me anyway, if I make the choice to eat as I do every single day ...it is a lifestyle.

Personally I have done OMAD for years and continue to and will until I am finished with life. I have no restrictions that are set in gold. I can eat whatever I want. I eat till I am full. I do not count calories. I enjoy special 'eating out occasions' and Holidays just as anyone else would, the only difference is I will possibly do an entire day fast following such an event....but not always, maybe once a month I will fast 24 hours. Thats it. No worries about how to maintain.

I want to tell you all a secret I have learned  and I will also recommend a book or two for you to pick up and read.   When you fast ( and you do overnight when your sleeping) you are buring stored fat. Whenever you eat food , just like when you smoke...you wake something up. In the case of food...they are called Insulin-Ghrelin and Leptin. Once your body stops burning stored fuel in your body and you eat....these things come into play. It would take to long for me to explain the mechanics on this site but....heres some good reading I just came across thats much more updated on where I started. I started using the CRON method when I quit smoking 4 years ago and have come to find out its more  like what is referred to as the OMAD ( One meal a Day) in this day...so I guess you could say I do both as a lifestyle. I did CRON at that time because since I quit smoking I was looking for something to keep me busy in a healthy way and taking care of this vessel God gave me was number one on my list. Grazing even on veggies several times a day just kept the Insulin-Ghrelin and leptin stimulated. So anyway...if your interested in learning about this...

Out of curiosity, because I like to stay up on things and I love to read. I read a book recently that explains it so completely well and thought of all the newbies here who struggle with weight. This book will help you understand the lifestyle I live.

This is only my suggestion and my story and I know some people will be very opposed to this style. Thats okay. I think fasting has brought me much more good then ever...I never worry about what I am eating and I am fully satisfied, I do not count calories-points or worry about a scale. Thats why I wanted to share this two books with you for anyone who might be interested.

I have seen movies and others books suggested on this site so I am SUGGESTING these

1. Delay Don't Deny - By Gin Stephens

2. The Obesity Code- By Dr. Jason Fung

I noticed theres a bunch of videos on the computer on it as well....all free.

Not wanting to offend anyone here. Others do great on their diet journeys. Diets just don't work for me and I thought I 'd throw this info out anyone who would like to know about it.

CRON-Calorie Restriction Optimal Nutrition

OMAD-One Meal A Day

IF- Intermittent Fasting

DIET- Never did figure this one out. Its first 3 letters DIE are a red flag to me.

Bottom line~ Do what works for you, this is what works for me

8 Replies
Sandy-9-17-17

I love this analogy, and information!  I use to do the OMAD when I smoked, and sometimes on the weekends, I still do!  I have never been a regular time eater by any means, and would normally always skip breakfast.  But since working for the past 11 years where I am at, I do breakfast all 5 work days of the week, and then no breakfast on the weekends.

I am down almost 10 pounds now from gaining 20 since I quit a year ago, (haha...I can say that with a smile)  But I'm with you, I do not care for the word diet personally!  Lifestyle is correct from where I stand!   And my life has gotten pretty use to my style of eating!  Throwing in the exercise has helped, and yet, I am now finding myself stuck again at the current number on the scale.  Like clockwork every morning, I am stuck on this number!  Perhaps I will need to switch it up again! I'm with you Missy, Do what works for you! Just don't die-t !!! 

Like quitting smoking was a change in my lifestyle, I will change the way I eat lifestyle too!

Mandolinrain

It was freedom for me when I discovered this..because I really do enjoy food. I am especially fond of sweets and still am. I don't deny myself from them either . I do not crave them anymore though so I don't need them as much. I enjoy them mostly at special events or an outing. I prefer fresh fruit more now. But when my fasting window opens I enjoy them...either way. Glad Im not the only one who gets this.

elvan

This is really interesting...I tend to eat one meal a day most of the time and people who work with me get upset because they do not think that is healthy...they are much more into the frequent small meals.  I kind of think of that as snacking.  I don't eat a large meal very often and I absolutely do not eat if I am working, it makes me sleepy...if I eat something high in sugar, I am guaranteed to fall asleep, sometimes within minutes.  If I can't sleep at night...I go get something that is high in sugar and it will likely help me more than anything else I know of.  

I have to check out this reading.  My youngest daughter eats ALL the time...she eats healthy foods and makes sure she eats "clean" and as a result, she says she feels much better.  She cannot understand how I can go for hours without eating or WANTING to.  Not sure I can explain that.

XOXO,

Ellen

Mandolinrain

Its not for everyone Ellen, but it works for me. I loved the science behind it and I love that I can eat anything at all and I am staying trim. Also my skin is clearer and it has helped my muscle spasms from MS tremendously...I hardly suffer from them since following this. Most days are OMAD for me, but  a couple times a week I will have a small luncheon with friends and I eat. I have learned to also be more conscious of when I am full. I drink mostly sparkling water-water-tea ( decaff) and mineral water. I have omitted alcohol and juices altogether due to indigestions it gives me and it spikes insulin in me. The best way to describe it is I do not turn down a breakfast invite or a lunch invite, but I am pretty much a  gal with a  4-5 hour eating window daily.Anyway.....I love it and I feel great:

MarilynH

Wow Missy this is really interesting, I'm going to do some reading and check out the videos, thank you for sharing and diets and I don't work well together and I love my sweets especially chocolate.

Sandy-9-17-17

Mmmmmmmmm! Chocolate!   

MarilynH

Gotta love chocolate  yummy chocolate....

Mandolinrain

I ADORE Chocolate but it also irritates my GERD, so rarely do I indulge...but YES I LOVE CHOCOLATE!

0 Kudos