cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

virgomama

MY PRE-QUIT QUIT

Yesterday I decided to try a practice quit day.  I also wanted to try out the nicotine patch that I've decided to use in this next quit.  It actually went really well.  The patch did its job which allowed me to really focus on my triggers throughout the day and give more thought to how I would handle them.  Surprisingly, I found getting in my car to drive was one of my bigger triggers and since you're "trapped" in your vehicle you can't walk away.  Hmmmm.  So what do I need in my plan for this?  I decided on keeping a cinammon stick and a full container of water in vehicle at all times.  If anyone reading this has any other suggestions I'm open.  

My 2nd biggest trigger also surprised me which was just before bedtime.  That last hour of quiet time.  Since that's usually in front of the tv smoking and being totally by myself.  I decided I should change this up and read in bed.  So that's in my plan as well. Also open to suggestions here.  I'm pretty nervous about this one.

I've decided to keep the practice quit with nicotine patches going until my quit date. 10-1-18  Then will just use patches after that.  It seems to be helping me really fine tune my quit plan.  And only smoked 1/2 a cigarette all day.

7 Replies
JACKIE1-25-15

Congratulations on making the decision to quit smoking.  You have come to the right place for support.  Along with that education is the key to a successful quit.  Since you are using patches it is advisable not to smoke while using them. 

Start First, by educating yourself about nicotine addiction.  

Education is the key to a successful quit.

Suggested Read: Freedom from Nicotine My Journey Home and Nicotine Addiction 101         

Here are the links      http://whyquit.com/whyquit/LinksAAddiction.html   and http://whyquit.com/ffn/

Also Read   Allen Carr’s book, “Easy Easier Way to Quit Smoking”.  

Stay close, the journey continues.     

SaraCorinne

A pre quit quit, I love it!  Me, I was smoking like a chimney the night before my quit day and stayed up extra late doing it.  I like your idea much better.  I didn't have that kind of courage, good for you! 

This is an awesome site.  There are SO many people here in different stages of their quits and they're ALL here for you if you need anything!  It's like your own personal cheering section!  And with so many different kinds of people come lots of different kinds of advice, take what you want and leave the rest.

Welcome and make yourself at home!

Sara    

virgomama

Been that route too, Sara.  this will be my 4th quit.  Am really trying to prepare for this one more than I have any of the others, because I really do want to a permanent quit.  

This is an awesome sight.  With really great ideas.  Many that I've put in my own plan.  So we'll be seeing you around (the site).  I'm sticking around.

Cindy

elvan

I think the first thing you should do is to stop smoking in your house.  If you are going to smoke...GO OUTSIDE, it will make it much easier when you DO quit.  I like the water and cinnamon sticks in the car...I also liked to crank my radio up and sing along with music.

Stopping smoking in the house and car and making them smoke free zones will be really helpful when you are no longer practicing.  Set up the house so it is NOT smoke friendly, get some plants, change the furniture around if you can, clean out the car and deodorize everything.  It really will help.  Once you actually stop smoking, you are really going to appreciate clean smells more than you know.

Ellen

virgomama

Thanks so much for these tips, Ellen.  You're right.  I will definitely start making my house a non-smoking house tonight.  It will be much easier.  And love the music idea in the car.  OK.  My next pre-quit assignment is before me.  Tally Ho!

prjimm01

you will be fine.  make your plan and follow it.  be happy my friend you are choosing life.

virgomama

Thank you all for your ideas and support.  You've given me my next step in the pre-quit agenda.