cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Ralph1955

Stressed and Annoyed

So I went to the dentist to see about getting a permanent bridge for my top 4 front teeth. I figured it would cost me around one thousand dollars. After the exam he tells me All my teeth need to be removed and an upper and lower permanent bridge can replace my teeth. Shocking to say the least. I know that I don’t need all my teeth pulled; he’s looking to make money on me and the price would be $11,000.00. 

Bye bye. Going to a new dentist for a second opinion . I’m staying strong and not smoking even though I could go for a PACK.

Ugh

11 Replies
YoungAtHeart

That's NOT so bad - if you can believe THAT!  I paid over $15,000 to have my remaining front/side teeth capped about 10 years ago --- and the teeth underneath have now failed!  Nobody TOLD me caps will only last about that long.  HUH????!!!   I thought they would be good as long as I was......NOPE!

I am now looking at dentures (OMG - NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!) and maybe some implants - to the tune of about another $20,000. 

If I wasn't so vain, I wouldn't bother - but I am, so there is that.

Hope your second opinion is a better option!!

0 Kudos
Ralph1955

Without my dental discount the cost would be $24,000. I just find it totally shocking that they charge so much. It’s no wonder why people have issues with their teeth. 

I know my mouth is a problem just like the members of my moms family; all of them lost their teeth in their late 30’s. Personally I cannot afford to pay thousands of dollars on my teeth so I have to go the dentures root. Not thrilled but won’t put myself in debt. 

0 Kudos
SimplySheri

Second opinions are so important!!  Good for you   Hoping for the best and sending up prayers!!

Ralph1955

I just received a dental plan through AARP and the savings are amazing. Does anyone have that?

0 Kudos
GyorgyiM

I am a member of AARP. Just joined recently but still have insurance through the hospital system where I work. Looking forward to taking advantage of all their discounts now and in the near future. I love their articles on their website, very informative.

Ralph1955

Check out the dental plan it’s amazing 

0 Kudos
elvan

Ralph1955‌ I will check into that dental plan.  I had to have many upper and lower teeth removed because they were breaking off at the gum line.  I already had "permanent" bridges in place but, of course, they were not permanent. now I have partial upper and lower dentures, they are not really comfortable but they are a lot better than being toothless.  I have my front teeth on the top AND the bottom and that's important to me.  My cost was over $2,500 and I paid it as I went, I used Care Credit and had it paid in the six months that were required for it to be interest free.  I worked extra hours, it nearly killed me but it was WORTH it.  My husband's teeth are falling apart and some are brown...it makes me incredibly sad. 

Absolutely, getting a second opinion is vital to oral care as well as any extensive health care decisions.  You are going to get through this...smoke free.

Ellen

0 Kudos
elvan

Thanks, Ralph.