cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

SaraCorinne

Chantix: Usage Length? Sleeping? Stopping?

I have a few questions:

What is the longest anyone of you have been on Chantix?  

When did it become easier to sleep?

How did you feel when you stopped taking it?

Thank you,

Sara 

23 DOF

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
8 Replies
YoungAtHeart

I took Chantix for about 10 days before I quit, stayed on it a week after - but then was hospitalized for surgery, didn't get any there, and didn't know what dosage to take when I got home, so I just stopped taking it.  I believe there ARE guidelines for taking it.  You might do a search for them, or ask the doctor who prescribed it.

Can't comment on the sleep issue since I was on drugs in the hospital and when I first got home.  I don't remember any issues with that, though.

23 days is HUGE - you will be at a month before you know it!!!

elvan

So sorry, never took Chantix and never had a problem sleeping.  I was so sick when I quit that sleeping was the only thing I wanted to do...OTHER than breathe.  YoungAtHeart‌ is right that 23 days is HUGE, good for you.

Ellen

indingrl

Dear SaraCorrie please check out Dr Hays blogs or the EX teams blogs or please ask your doctor-i have NOT used the drug chantix-i have READ and HEARD a variety of HUMANS that have had DIFFERENT side effects-these QUESTIONS are for you and your doctor or PROFESSIONALS-we are RECOVERING DRUG ADDICTS-side effect from the DRUG CHANTIX with those who took it is still gonna be different for EACH HUMAN-please take care of you SaraCorrine and ask YOUR DOCTOR-thank you.

Tabbiekat

Congrats on 23 days. I was on Chantix for 2 months, took a month off, then wanting to protect my quit as I was facing some major triggers I went back on for another 4-6 weeks. I quit smoking about 2 weeks after I started taking Chantix (I would have to go back to my blog history to verify) I slept better once I stopped taking it. Also I never took more then one 1mg pill a day. I just never felt that I needed it. The earlier in the day I did take it, the better I did sleep, some vivid dreams, but usually only 5-6 hrs sleep or less on any given night while I was on it.

My doctor said I could stay on it as long as I felt I needed. He said he had one patient still on it after 2 years, because they felt better. That is something you would need to discuss with your doctor.

After I quit using it I was doing okay, but I started getting antsy and had a general "I just don't care" attitude and was getting irritated at stupid stuff. I saw my doctor and he had me try an anti-depressant since I did not want to go back on chantix due to the "sleeping issues". All n all doing pretty good now with having quit smoking over 10 months ago.

Congrats again on 23 days

elvan

Tabbiekat‌ CONGRATULATIONS to you for over 10 months, I am so happy for you!  I had forgotten you were on Chantix and then went off and back on for a bit.  Look at you NOW!  

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

So good to hear from you and your success.  Way to go with 10 months smoke free.  

Barb

0 Kudos
Bellegonia

I started it a week before my quit (8/27 and just stopped taking it yesterday). I tossed and turned the first night off of it, racing mind... but slept great last night. Tonight I'm up all night working so don't think tomorrow's sleeping will be a problem

After reading Allen Carr's book I just felt like my reality was it wasn't really doing anything for me that I couldn't do myself.

Belle

constanceclum

I used chantix when I tried to quit smoking last yr. I was able to sleep on it, but I do remember the dreams. It worked great for me after the 1st couple of weeks of not smoking (I still went through hell week and heck week). I just had such bad GI problems (from quitting nicotine, not the chantix) that I started smoking again. My Dr told me to take it for 6 months but I could take it longer if I needed to. This time I'm quitting with the patch-no GI problems.

Connie

0 Kudos