cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Grammy25

Depressed feeling

I am really getting tired of the on and off feeling like I want to cry!

Any suggestions? 

Mid this normal?

0 Kudos
24 Replies
YoungAtHeart

1.  Exercise

2.  Exercise

3.  Exercise

(get the idea? - )

You are missing the dopamine hit that you used to get from a cigarette.  You can get a bit of that by taking a quick walk, or doing a few jumping jacks, or going up and down stairs.

This is, though, a normal withdrawal symptom.  You just need to get through it the best that you can.

It WILL get better!

Hang in there!

Nancy

0 Kudos
Grammy25

Thank you for the suggestions!

0 Kudos
Sandy-9-17-17

Also, if you're not taking vitamin D already, I take  3 - 4 gel caps of it daily, along with magnesium, as it helps your body absorb the Vitamin D.

It is normal to feel like this when you quit, so give yourself some time, but in the meantime, do what is suggested.

Vitamin D for me is like sunshine in a bottle! 

0 Kudos
Grammy25

Thank you for the suggestions!

I take two different supplements with D in them and magnesium is in one!

0 Kudos
SaraCorinne

I cried in the beginning of my quit.  I felt like, why am I doing this to myself.  Once I realized I was doing this FOR myself and not TO myself my quit got stronger  AND easier!  The same will happen to you if you just hang in there.  I promise!  Cross my heart!  

0 Kudos
Grammy25

Thank you so much!

0 Kudos
maryfreecig

Watch some comedy. Smile anyway...science says the brain doesn't know the difference. I kinda doubt it, but when I'm low and early on in my quit, I'd put on a great big smile. Like Nancy suggested...get exercise. 

It's normal to look back to what you knew and compare it to now...just getting started on quitting which is all new. Feeling like you've got to do this or else is exhausting. But however you are collecting these days won, keep collecting them. What you are going to receive in the end is a gazillion times better than where you were. 

Crying is ok. Anger too.  So long as you point yourself in smobriety's direction.  You are making a strong and courageous effort...keep up the good work!!!!

I blogged this about a year and a half ago...

To smoke or not to smoke is not the question

If I was in my right mind when I picked up my first cigarette at age seventeen, well I would not have gotten that far. And neither would most. But at Seventeen life is forever, or at least death is so very far away so that what I knew to be risky behavior just didn't matter. Sickness and suffering were scary stories to me at 17, but still just something that may happen if I ever grow old.

Now I'm 58 and counting. Three and a half years ago I quit smoking--no longer young, not so resilient, weary of heroism and tired of big changes, still,  I gave quitting a second chance. It worked. But it cost me something to change, I lost an illusion of comfort and protection that as a smoker was very real to me. By choosing to quit for good (my best intention), I had to take the discomfort of quitting. That's when I discovered the deep roots of addiction--a bottomless pit of want. But my sincere commitment to quit, uttered when I was smoking, came back to test my addict mind...smoking was what I'd known for most of 37 years. In time, I discovered to my dismay that  there was no going back to my comforting illusion. I had to forge on to see what lay ahead! Lord, did I miss my happy delusion, my smokes, the whole shebang. Couldn't I smoke and quit at the same time, I joked.

I have to admit that I did not just lose the comfort of a pleasant delusion, I gained something, too, though slowly and very grudgingly at first: an inner strength--something that is innate to most at birth--the ability to learn something new, to adjust, grow and adapt day to day. To that end, inner strength in trade for a delusion? I know I made out O.K. I made it past the addiction.

Here's to another 3.5 years of smobriety. "Eternal vigilance" and willingness to grow are always on my quitting to do list.

Grammy25

Thank you!

Everyone has been so helpful!

Bellegonia

I needeed to read this today.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Hugs